• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Playground off-limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sue07647

Is it legal for the principal of my kids' public middle school to tell the students they must vacate the premises immediately after school and are not allowed on the playground equipment, basketball nets, etc.?

Silverplum

In Canada, I hear school principals can do whatever they please.

Is it legal for the principal of my kids' public middle school to tell the students they must vacate the premises immediately after school and are not allowed on the playground equipment, basketball nets, etc.?
:rolleyes:

CdwJava

What state are you in?

In general, yes. School property is often subject to school use only if that is what the administration prefers. If there are parents who would like the facilities to be open for use after school, they should speak to the administration and perhaps the superintendent or the school board. There might be good reasons to see that people stay off the property. Perhaps kids have been victimized, perhaps they have been injured, or perhaps there is a risk of damage to the facilities. But, in general, school grounds are subject to restrictions by the administration. But, the laws in your state might be different ... hence the reason you were asked for your state when you first posted.

NellieBly

I'm sure the school department doesn't want the liability associated with people on the premises, unsupervised by school personnel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">