• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xunan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma
names have been changed

My son is being accused of being involved in gang violence and is accused of assault and battery and inciting a riot.

I received a letter today from the District Court, Juvenile Bureau saying that they received a complaint from a high school police officer saying my son was allegedly involved in assault and battery and incite a riot.
They have scheduled a meeting for us on 1/31/13 @ 2pm .

My son has absolutely no record of violence at school or anywhere else and also has no record of being involved with gangs.

On Jan 10th 2013 , I was called to my sons school at memorial high where he was accused of being a gang member by a police officer and I was told by the same officer that they were going to bring charges against everyone involved in the incident for assault and battery including my son. They told me I am to expect a letter from the DA. My son has also been suspended from school indefinitely for now. Please continue reading as I will explain what happened:

My son (Ray) waits for my wife to pick him up at a library about 1/2 mile away from Memorial High School every day, he walks there. On Jan 9th my son accepted a ride to the library after school from an acquaintance that he has known since grade school(Marco). Unfortunately this friend IS involved in gangs. It just so happens that 2 men who do not go to Memorial High and as yet are unidentified started an altercation with a third child (Armando) in the parking lot. This third child is an acquaintance of my son and his friend Marco.

My son and Marl got out of their car to assist Armando whos Mother was actually there picking him up and trying to stop the two outsiders from beating her son; at which point 1 of the unknown men attacked my son. My son admits to being able to get one punch in on his unknown attacker before school security got there and started spraying mace. The 2 unknown men got into their car and left the campus. My son that day had absolutely no physical signs of a struggle and I feel his involvement was minimal at best. Yet the officer told me in the school meeting with the principle that she was going to bring charges against him for assault and battery and gang related violence and inciting a riot. To me this seems pretty up surd. My son was attacked at his school by someone who had no business being there and they are accusing my son of crimes...

I asked the officer in the meeting who he assaulted and they said they didn't know yet they were investigating.

If you are still reading I thank you . I was advised by a friend that if the police are involved and criminal charges are being brought against my son that I should find a lawyer so.. I feel that my son is being discriminated against for looking latino so they are assuming he is in some latino gang also he has no record of violence what so ever in school or out of it. And I am talking his entire school history starting from kindergarten. I feel that the charges being brought against him are false and inflammatory.

How can I protect my son from this ??

I feel that he is being victimized and turned into a criminal when he acted in self defense.

What can I do if anything to fight this?
I think they will ask us to plead guilty in the meeting and ruin my sons record , if we try to fight that means lots of money and lost time from work and school for my son.
Feel like Im between a rock and a hard place.
please advise

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">