• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IamUnknowing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
When I was 14 years of age (16 years ago), I was charged and convicted of a felony. Several years later I tried to purchase a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting. I was rejected by the CBI due to my juvenile record because my juvenile charge would of been considered an adult felony had I been of age. Is their anything I can do so I can own a firearm, such as sealing of records?

PQN

When I was 14 years of age (16 years ago), I was charged and convicted of a felony. Several years later I tried to purchase a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting. I was rejected by the CBI due to my juvenile record because my juvenile charge would of been considered an adult felony had I been of age. Is their anything I can do so I can own a firearm, such as sealing of records?
I believe in Colorado, the only way that it would have blocked you from trying to purchase a shotgun was if your conviction was actually in adult court, which could have happened depending on the charges, even if you were 14.

Was your conviction in adult court? What was the felony?

IamUnknowing

If I remember correctly it was conspiracy. In Colorado, the gun law states that if a juvenile was adjudicated for a crime that can be considered an adult felony, if done by an adult, they are not allowed to buy firearms. My case was held in juvenile courts. I just don't know if going through the trouble of sealing my record would result in allowing me to own firearms.

Just Blue

Please post your EXACT conviction. Thanks

Blue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">