• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k3n3t1k

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My sixteen year old girlfriend is living with her mother and stepfather. Her mother works and is gone for several hours a day, the stepfather is unemployed because of an injury from over a year ago. The stepfather is an obsesive compulsive controll freak who is constantly telling my girlfriend that she is a failure, insulting her, and threatening her. This is obviously an unhealthy enviroment for a sixteen year old girl. The mother sees and is consious of the stepfathers mental abuse and still does nothing. If anything the mother takes the side of the stepfather so she does not gain his wrath. Everything is limited, from time to food, she has no freedom to live and is constanly "grounded" for reasons such as she didn't zip her coat, or she isn't wearing clothes that they like. I have four questions:

(1.) Is this a type of child abuse?

(2.) Can the state get involved?

(3.) Is this a legal way to run a household?

(4.) What would be the best form of action to take to attempt to stop this?

SIGguy229

What is the name of your state? Illinois

(1.) Is this a type of child abuse?

(2.) Can the state get involved?

(3.) Is this a legal way to run a household?

(4.) What would be the best form of action to take to attempt to stop this?
1--Possibly

2--Possibly

3--Not a proper question, as the state does not regulate how kids should be raised. However, they must provide food, shelter, clothing, medical and dental check-ups/attention, and educate her (home school or public school)

4--Dude, I don't know how old you are, but unless you are independently wealthy, I would make an anonymous phone call to child services (in the phone book) and then walk away. All in all, it sounds like stepdad is an old-fashioned a-hole...and there ain't a law against it.

However, if there is more to the abuse, your GF will need to come forward. Mom is not doing her job to protect her child, but that's my judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">