• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this police contact?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecody

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

I was on a roof with some friends when this cop stopped and told us to get down. So we did, he was just like 'yeah you can't be up there', he asked us our names. There were 5 of us, he didn't write anyone's name down, got back in his car and left. It was all less than 10 minutes.

In my probation contract it says you got to tell them about 'police contact'. Does that count as police contact even though nothing happened? I've got about 2 weeks left of the probation so I don't wanna start something.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

I was on a roof with some friends when this cop stopped and told us to get down. So we did, he was just like 'yeah you can't be up there', he asked us our names. There were 5 of us, he didn't write anyone's name down, got back in his car and left. It was all less than 10 minutes.

In my probation contract it says you got to tell them about 'police contact'. Does that count as police contact even though nothing happened? I've got about 2 weeks left of the probation so I don't wanna start something.
Yup, it is.

Whether or not the officer wrote down the names at that time, that doesn't mean he didn't go back to the patrol car and pull out his notebook and write them down later.

I suggest that if you don't "wanna start something" that you stay off the roof and keep it on the straight and narrow for the next couple of weeks.

quincy

So I should tell the PO just incase?

Will I get in trouble for even just having police contact?
Your probation officer has his hands full with you, huh, thecody? :)

This forum has a member who is a probation officer (not from New York) and perhaps he will drop by and offer some advice. The forum also has a New York attorney who might stop by to advise you.

I personally think that if your probation contract states that all police contact must be reported, you might be smart to report to your PO that a police officer told you to get off a roof and you did.

This can be an especially smart move on the off-chance the police officer did check your name, discover you were on probation, and decides to report the roof climbing to your probation officer. It can often be best to be first to speak up.

That said, however, and because I would hate to have you get into any trouble following this advice (especially with only two weeks left of your probationary period), you may want to call an attorney in your area for his/her opinion.

And, again, wait for awhile to see if the forum members I mentioned above find this thread and can offer you some additional or different or better advice.

Good luck.

Indiana Filer

Hi. I'm the probation officer. You need to report this to your PO. If there were no charges, you'll probably get yelled at but not violated.

In the future, don't go places where you aren't allowed, such as on roofs.

thecody

Hi. I'm the probation officer. You need to report this to your PO. If there were no charges, you'll probably get yelled at but not violated.

In the future, don't go places where you aren't allowed, such as on roofs.
Ok. Thank you for responding. I'll tell fosters and PO tmrw.
I hope it's not any big deal.

CdwJava

Gads ... I'm having flashbacks to when we were foster parents! Except that I got to go out in my own patrol car and pick my own foster children up and take them home ... took one from a school rooftop once, too.

Regardless of who else might have been up on that roof, YOU don't have to go up there. YOU make the decisions that get you into trouble, YOU make the decision as to who you hang out with, and YOU get to control whether or not you go back into custody. Time to make some better choices.

thecody

Gads ... I'm having flashbacks to when we were foster parents! Except that I got to go out in my own patrol car and pick my own foster children up and take them home ... took one from a school rooftop once, too.

Regardless of who else might have been up on that roof, YOU don't have to go up there. YOU make the decisions that get you into trouble, YOU make the decision as to who you hang out with, and YOU get to control whether or not you go back into custody. Time to make some better choices.
yeah you sound like a fosterpops. I bet you even had your eyebrows raised just writing that. Hmmm
But seriously, even if stealth doesn't think I got any good adults around, I know that's what they'll say. Yeah yeah, I listen.

:)

I'm happy to hear that you are being good and that all is going well in your family, thecody. Good luck tomorrow.
Yeah, family. I'm happier than I was last time I was here. Thanks.

Proserpina

yeah you sound like a fosterpops. I bet you even had your eyebrows raised just writing that. Hmmm
But seriously, even if stealth doesn't think I got any good adults around, I know that's what they'll say. Yeah yeah, I listen.

Yeah, family. I'm happier than I was last time I was here. Thanks.

Y'know cody, I've read your post hx.

And I'm another one who's wishing you luck. You've probably got one chance, and one chance only, to turn things around.

Grab it and run! Do it!

:)

BL

I'm wondering what roof you were all on?

If it wasn't where anyone that was involved belonged , then you shouldn't have been up there at all.

I doubt if much will come of it once you report the incident to your PO ,but a lecture.

Stay straight ,get that letter of probation termination in hand ,and stay out of future trouble .

Your criminal history can have an effect .

thecody

You've probably got one chance, and one chance only, to turn things around.
No pressure. But thanks.
If they all just leave me where I'm at now...

The PO didn't do anything about it. Just got to be perfect until probation's over. Got grounded for a bit so that's easy.

I'm wondering what roof you were all on?
tbh I guess it's transit...so yeah...lol
Adults keep saying you'll fall off and under a train but I don't know, noone ever has. That would be REALLY unlucky. I won't be 1st though. Or 2nd..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">