• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hyyt8

GA. So some kid at my school gave me what he said was ecstasy. I was caught with it almost immediately right before I was going to turn it in. I had showed it to some girl (witness) who I wanted to come with me to help turn it in. In my statement I wrote that I said to her that I thought it was Ecstasy. Apparently, this incriminates me to a charge of possession. Is there any way to save myself in a plea of not guilty in tribunal or should I take another course. I really don\\'t want a criminal record or to be expelled from my current school.

tranquility

You were in knowing possession of a drug. Even if it turns out it was not ecstasy, you would still be guilty of attempted possession. That you planned to turn it in would not change any element of the crime. You need to tell your parents you need an attorney. I'm not sure you won't be expelled or have a juvenile record although some states have a diversion process that can lessen punishment. The main thing you should be hoping for is they don't try you as an adult.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The one thing that might have saved you (after you knowingly RECEIVED the drug) was for you to have gone STRAIGHT to ANY school official and say "Mr. Smith, Bobby Jones just handed me this pill"

You didn't do that - instead, you wandered around showing it to your friends.

I agree - you need an attorney.

hyyt8

although could I perhaps claim that I was not in "knowing" possession? I honestly had a strong doubt it was real...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
although could I perhaps claim that I was not in "knowing" possession? I honestly had a strong doubt it was real...
Because it was handed to you and you were TOLD what it was :rolleyes:

ETA: It doesn't actually matter - like I said, that is one thing that MIGHT have saved you had you acted in the manner I mentioned. You did not.

tranquility

You can claim anything you like. But, what do you think others will believe?

Tell your parents you need an attorney.

hyyt8

Obviously, I'm screwed, then... My parents refuse me an attorney... How should I plea to get the best possible sentence?

Just Blue

GA. So some kid at my school gave me what he said was ecstasy. I was caught with it almost immediately right before I was going to turn it in. I had showed it to some girl (witness) who I wanted to come with me to help turn it in. In my statement I wrote that I said to her that I thought it was Ecstasy. Apparently, this incriminates me to a charge of possession. Is there any way to save myself in a plea of not guilty in tribunal or should I take another course. I really don\\'t want a criminal record or to be expelled from my current school.
So. Why did you accept the alleged drug?

tranquility

So. Why did you accept the alleged drug?
hyyt8, don't answer that or any other question from anyone but your attorney on this matter. This could be a bad life changing thing for you or a not-as-bad thing; it depends. But, talking about it is not going to help you mitigate the damages to yourself.

Look, you screwed up--badly. You don't need us to tell you that. We might suspect things are not quite what you are telling us, but that is not really relevant right now. Right now your job is to shut up about the events and to get an attorney. That your parents won't help either speaks to other problems between them and you or a shock from events and an emotional but unthinking reaction.

Don't try to explain it away to them. Just tell them that you're sorry for anything you've done that may have hurt them but that you're in a tough spot right now and you really need their help.

Just Blue

hyyt8, don't answer that or any other question from anyone but your attorney on this matter. This could be a bad life changing thing for you or a not-as-bad thing; it depends. But, talking about it is not going to help you mitigate the damages to yourself.

Look, you screwed up--badly. You don't need us to tell you that. We might suspect things are not quite what you are telling us, but that is not really relevant right now. Right now your job is to shut up about the events and to get an attorney. That your parents won't help either speaks to other problems between them and you or a shock from events and an emotional but unthinking reaction.

Don't try to explain it away to them. Just tell them that you're sorry for anything you've done that may have hurt them but that you're in a tough spot right now and you really need their help.
You are right and I should never have asked that question.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Given that OP states s/he may have to take "another" class, I suspect this is not the first such event in his/her young life. Which may explain why the parents refuse to pay for an attorney.

HomeGuru

OP, do you have a prior record at school and/or with police and why don't your parents want to hire an attorney for you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">