• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of marijuana on school campus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cannibalkitten

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am a 14 year old in California. I was Arrested on May 22, 2012 for possession of marijuana on school campus. I had to attend a hearing at the police station today, July 19, 2012. It was conducted by a police officer and "an outstanding member of the community". They said either I could sign up for a divergence program or They would turn the case over to the juvenile probation department. They refused to tell me what would happen with either choice, and pressured me to pick the diversion program. I chose the diversion program, and my mother and I had to sign this contract. (I blocked out the names for privacy)
[url]http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/15310000/15310459_36b2_625x625.jpg[/url]

I looked up the laws regarding marijuana and found that the law I broke, H&S 11357(e) says this:
Except as authorized by law, every person under the age of 18
who possesses not more than 28.5 grams of marijuana, other than
concentrated cannabis, upon the grounds of, or within, any school
providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 through 12
during hours the school is open for classes or school-related
programs is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to the
following dispositions:
(1) A fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250), upon
a finding that a first offense has been committed.
(2) A fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500), or
commitment to a juvenile hall, ranch, camp, forestry camp, or secure
juvenile home for a period of not more than 10 days, or both, upon a
finding that a second or subsequent offense has been committed.

It was my first offense, and it was well under 28.5 grams, and not concentrated. I would like to know if it was legal for them to give me those two options without telling me what they were. Also, was it legal to assign me probation, community service, and an essay? If it was not legal, What can I do about it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">