• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Illegal Search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubbrduckie

What is the name of your state? -- Oklahoma

Odd situation.

On April 14, 2007, me and three friends went out to practically no-mans-land to fire a shotgun, I am 17 years old, and two of my friends were also underage, the other, who was the owner of the weapon, was 18, and legally allowed to carry the weapon. Upon leaving the place, I got a flat tire, so me, and the 18 year-old both pulled over, and changed my tire. As he was about to get back in his car, and I was about to get back in mine, someone drove by, asking if we needed help changing the tire, and as we said that we got it taken care of, an officer pulled in front of them, and stepped out of the car. He noticed the shotgun case in the back of my friends closed, locked, SUV. He told us all [me and my 3 friends] to take a seat on the ground. As he questioned the people that were offering help, he ended searching them, finding several weapons, and also marijuana. Then when he got to us, he ended up searching all of our pockets, and our cars, extremely well, even though we had done nothing illegal. He didn't ask if we mind him searching, he told us that we had no choice, and pulled out a cigarette pack from my pocket, opened it up, and found a joint. After that, I was placed under arrest, and had to had my parents come pick me up and he signed me over to them. Was the search legal? I wasn't doing anything against the law, other than changing my damn tire.

rubbrduckie

Actually, it was state-owned land. It was alongside a dam. And if I need to get more specific, we were just heading back from an area of land that is not even state-owned land, it's surrounded by these large, yellow poles, and is legal to shoot firearms there, which is why we were there. But the point is, I was on a Public Road, Changing my tire, and was searched? I just don't think it was an entirely legal search. This happened Saturday, April 14, 2007, and they told my dad to call the courthouse on the following Monday, which we did, and they said they would call back with a court date. Never did. Still don't have one. I'm not going out of my way to get one though...

rubbrduckie

Bump?
I'm almost eighteen and could this possibly come back to haunt me considering I still haven't went to court over it?

CdwJava

Bump?
I'm almost eighteen and could this possibly come back to haunt me considering I still haven't went to court over it?
Yes, it COULD come back on you ... but i doubt it. If you have not been contacted about court yet, chances are you won't.

Lesson: Don't carry dope when you go out with a bunch of pals to shoot guns on property that is not yours.

- Carl

Icetyphoon

because you are a minor, i'm not entirely certain if that search was illegal or not but here is my logic flow that it is illegal

since you are a minor, your parent's rights extends to you. that includes the bill of rights, especially the 4th amendment

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

your 18 year old friend should have refused the search and demanded for a lawyer. but oh well, past is past.

Kape239

yeah just let things be. you got off real lucky.

ALSO:
Can anyone tell me how to start a thread. please mail me about it

Silverplum

because you are a minor, i'm not entirely certain if that search was illegal or not but here is my logic flow that it is illegal

since you are a minor, your parent's rights extends to you. that includes the bill of rights, especially the 4th amendment.
You're very wrong. Quite wrong.

Don't post when you don't KNOW the answer. You're screwing with people.

CdwJava

yeah just let things be. you got off real lucky.

ALSO:
Can anyone tell me how to start a thread. please mail me about it
AT the top of a thread category there is a button that says: "New message". Hit that to start a thread.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">