• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

np908

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm 16, making me a minor, and I "stole" from Target and got caught.

The loss prevention at Target told me that they saw me put on a watch ($150), but I'm not sure if they saw me take it out of the packaging. They stopped me on top of the exit sensors, so I did not leave the store. I admitted that the item wasn't mine, but maybe it could have been out of fear. Am I able to get everything dropped including from my juvenile record due to that reason of not leaving the store yet? I could have changed my mind right when loss prevention stopped me. Target sued me for $500 and for court and everything I don't know yet. How will this affect my job applications? Will I be let off with a warning in court and just have to pay off the $500? Will I be able to get all charges and records dropped? Am I able to negotiate on bringing the charges down a fair bit? Any significant help would greatly be appreciated.

Proserpina

The loss prevention at Target told me that they saw me put on a watch ($150), but I'm not sure if they saw me take it out of the packaging. They stopped me on top of the exit sensors, so I did not leave the store. I admitted that the item wasn't mine, but maybe it could have been out of fear. Am I able to get everything dropped including from my juvenile record due to that reason of not leaving the store yet? I could have changed my mind right when loss prevention stopped me. Target sued me for $500 and for court and everything I don't know yet. How will this affect my job applications? Will I be let off with a warning in court and just have to pay off the $500? Will I be able to get all charges and records dropped? Am I able to negotiate on bringing the charges down a fair bit? Any significant help would greatly be appreciated.
You're not telling us the truth, are you?

quincy

Eekamouse

There's no "possible shoplifting." You WERE shoplifting. And you got caught. And now you hope to wiggle your way out of it. Good luck with that, junior.

CdwJava

The loss prevention at Target told me that they saw me put on a watch ($150), but I'm not sure if they saw me take it out of the packaging. They stopped me on top of the exit sensors, so I did not leave the store. I admitted that the item wasn't mine, but maybe it could have been out of fear.
Yeah, "maybe" ... but, you know you stole it and so do they. And when they testify as to their observations and your confession, you'll be toast.

Am I able to get everything dropped including from my juvenile record due to that reason of not leaving the store yet?
Of course not.

I could have changed my mind right when loss prevention stopped me.
And a benevolent millionaire might have paid for it before you got to the register ... what MIGHT have happened doesn't matter. What DID happen does. You took an item that did not belong to you, stripped it from its packaging, and tried to leave the store with it and got caught.

Target sued me for $500 and for court and everything I don't know yet.
Did they actually SUE you (as in they took you to small claims court), or, did they make a civil demand for the $500? The civil demand is separate from any criminal proceedings so you might be required to pay fines and restitution on top of the demand.

How will this affect my job applications?
A conviction for theft is a crime of moral turpitude. What that means is that it is good cause for most employers to not hire you based on a proven criminal and deceptive nature. So, you may have torpedoed some good job opportunities. Between this and your online scam you're off to a heck of a life of crime!

Will I be let off with a warning in court and just have to pay off the $500? Will I be able to get all charges and records dropped? Am I able to negotiate on bringing the charges down a fair bit? Any significant help would greatly be appreciated.
Have mom and dad hire an attorney to help you. Hopefully they will make you get a job doing hard labor so that you can pay them back the $5,000 or so they will be out to defend your sorry tail end.

If they are on top of things you'd have no more access to the internet (no smart phone with such access, either) and grounded except for school and a real job.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can tell you that few retailers will hire you. If any. They don't want thieves on their staff.

CavemanLawyer

Theft is defined as appropriating something with the intent to deprive the owner of it. So leaving the store certainly would have made it that much clearer that your intent was deprive the store of ownership, but it is not a requirement. The appropriation in this case appears to have happened the second you put that watch on your wrist with the intent to keep it.

The $500 demand from the store is separate from the criminal case. They are saying that if you pay them that then they will not sue you civilly. Its going to vary by store but my experience is that it is a hollow threat. They will rarely sue you if you don't pay. If they do have any damages (cost of item since its removed from packaging and can't necessarily be resold, at least not easily) they are usually content trying to recoup that in the form of restitution in the criminal case. But... sometimes paying their demand is the absolute best thing you can do. Alot of district attorney's offices have a policy that they will not prosecute theft if the victim solicits and receives compensation for that theft. Essentially it appears to convert the issue to a civil matter or in some circumstances (usually with a non-commercial victim) even appears like the victim is accepting a bribe.

As far as the criminal case goes, you are being charged as a juvenile so you will get an attorney one way or another. If you cannot afford one then one will be appointed to your case. That attorney can try to get you the best deal. Obviously you want to avoid an adjudication if you can help it but, contrary to what others in this thread have stated, you cannot be convicted of anything. Juvenile adjudications are not considered convictions and even the adjudications will not show up on a criminal history except to law enforcement. Once you are of age the record may be sealed provided that you do not commit certain other adult offenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">