• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnant teen emancipation case in oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rex321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

My friend is seventeen years old and pregnant. Her parents are being very unsupportive and trying to force her to do things she doesn't want to, like get an abortion. I know they can't make her, but the situation is very stressful and not good for her at all. A major problem is the fact that they put her down and emotionally abuse her all the time. Unfortunately that's nearly impossible to prove. We were going to talk to a lawyer about getting her emancipated, but in the state of Oklahoma that's really complicated. We're also going to involve juvenile services and DHS. I was just wondering if there is anything we should or could do or anyone other people to call that would help her case more in any way, and perhaps guarantee her a way out? She has a place to stay with us, financially stable and willing to do anything and everything for her and her baby.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps you need to allow the parents to parent this child. You know..the child who's having a child...

rex321

Did you read the entire post? Her parents are emotionally abusive. Her mother also hits her and gets into fist fights with her. After oklahoma juvenile association told her and her mother she should stay with us for a few days her mother called her father who proceeded to come to our house and slam her into the door before grabbing her by the back of the neck and attempting to drag her away. Does that sound like good parenting to you? And they both yelled at us and got into our faces when we were just trying to be helpful and supportive and do what OJA recommended.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Did you read the entire post? Her parents are emotionally abusive. Her mother also hits her and gets into fist fights with her. After oklahoma juvenile association told her and her mother she should stay with us for a few days her mother called her father who proceeded to come to our house and slam her into the door before grabbing her by the back of the neck and attempting to drag her away. Does that sound like good parenting to you? And they both yelled at us and got into our faces when we were just trying to be helpful and supportive and do what OJA recommended.
The fists fights weren't mentioned in your original post.

Why is that? That's a pretty important factor.

rex321

Because at this point in time there is no proof. The last fist fight they were in was a month ago. We need to know things that will help now, not that could have helped then. I really don't want replies that are just going to tell us not to do anything and let her stay in an unhappy and unstable home where she's treated like dirt, so if your going to be unhelpful please just don't say anything. And I did mention that she was emotionally abused, which is just as bad and traumatizing so it doesn't really matter.

Proserpina

Because at this point in time there is no proof. The last fist fight they were in was a month ago. We need to know things that will help now, not that could have helped then. I really don't want replies that are just going to tell us not to do anything and let her stay in an unhappy and unstable home where she's treated like dirt, so if your going to be unhelpful please just don't say anything. And I did mention that she was emotionally abused, which is just as bad and traumatizing so it doesn't really matter.
Just one question (as I'm genuinely curious),

How is she financially stable?

Proserpina

I think they were saying that they were "financially stable and willing to do anything for her and the baby"
Therein lying the problem....Oklahoma requires that the petitioner is able to financially support herself. Living with another family doesn't fit that criteria -she's got to do it on her own.

:confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And they both yelled at us and got into our faces when we were just trying to be helpful and supportive and do what OJA recommended.
Yeah, 'cause all parents would be all happy happy when uninvolved busy-bodies decided that they know how to parent someone else's kid better. :rolleyes:

As for *you*, OP - are you the babydaddy?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Oklahoma, don't even bother thinking emancipation. The only right an emancipated teen in OK has that a non-emancipated teen does not have is the right to sign a contract. She does NOT have the right to leave home without permission.

There is NO state where a judge will agree to emancipate a pregnant teenager who still needs financial support from others. By getting pregnant she pretty much closed the door on any legal method of getting out of the house. She's just proven that she need more supervision, not less.

If CPS decides to remove her from the home, fine. Until then, her parents have the right to parent her, even badly. They are not required to be happy that she is pregnant. They are not required to allow her to move out unless the court says so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">