• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation for one misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manowar66

I called 911 falsely for trying to help someone and it backfired hard. They got off scot free and I'm getting hell for it. I talked to a higher ranking officer at the police station and they said the charges would be double jeopardy and I should only have one charge because it's the same charge but in different writing. So would I be getting probation for one charge? Or even two? I was just recently put off of probation and I'm a minor. Am I getting probation again?

justalayman

I have no idea what you think might be double jeopardy. Can you explain how you think double jeopardy may be involved here?

Manowar66

I don't even know what double jeopardy means. I just need to know if this is going to wind up with me on probation.

CdwJava

I called 911 falsely for trying to help someone and it backfired hard.
WHY would you make a false 911 call? They DO have better things to do then play silly games!

They got off scot free and I'm getting hell for it.
Well, you DID commit a crime ... so ...

I talked to a higher ranking officer at the police station and they said the charges would be double jeopardy and I should only have one charge because it's the same charge but in different writing.
Methinks that whomever you spoke to does not have a good idea of what "double jeopardy" means ... or, you misunderstood them.

So would I be getting probation for one charge? Or even two? I was just recently put off of probation and I'm a minor. Am I getting probation again?
Any charge you are convicted of can result in penalties. The penalties can be served consecutively, or concurrently. It all depends on the SPECIFIC charges, your criminal history, and the sentencing practices of the court.

Which leads us to two very important questions: What state is this? And, what are the specific code sections you have been charged with violating?

Manowar66

It's more deep than me just calling them for ****s and giggles and I did not say I didn't commit a crime. I had nothing to do with this other than calling them. Montana. 45-7-205(b) & 47-7-204(i)

FlyingRon

Being charged with multiple offenses at the same time stemming from one incident isn't double jeopardy. Double jeopardy would be charging you for one offense, going to trial, and then charging you again (either the same charge or a different one stemming from the same incident).

Given the charges and your brief description, it is quite possible that you committed both offenses with your calls. One covers making the false emergency call and the other the actual false statements you made. It's quite possible that they may drop one of the charges but your best bet is still with an attorney to fight this.

You're looking at six months in jail and/or $500 fine (plus costs) on each.

CdwJava

It's more deep than me just calling them for ****s and giggles and I did not say I didn't commit a crime. I had nothing to do with this other than calling them. Montana. 45-7-205(b) & 47-7-204(i)
Then you should NOT have called 911! That's for emergencies only, NOT to "falsely" help a friend!!!!

If it was a legitimate call to help your friend, then you would not have been charged with a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">