• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prowling vs. Disorderly Conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

singlemom21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Long story short. A group of girls (ages 12) we ticketed with disorderly conduct for playing "ding-dong-ditch". They were given the citation after being chased by a man, one of them grabbed and shoved, then he followed her into the house where he proceeded to push an older (age 16) sibling down the stairs, leaving her with bruises/scratches...so the girls called 911! So they basically turned themself in, because of this ADULT entering the house and them feeling the need to call 911. Anyway, long story short, they are now only charging him with the same disorderly conduct charge as the girls. We are in the process of accepting the offer on my daughter, and want to know the difference in charges between prowling and disorderly conduct. Is prowling a lesser offense?

Please help!

Hot Topic

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense. What is Ding Dong Ditch? Who was the man? Why was he chasing them? What does, "One of them grabbed and shoved" mean? The girl's door was open and he came in after her? Why would he push her older sister down the stairs? He stood there while they called 911?

Please have the post rewritten by someone who can tell us exactly what happened.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Long story short. A group of girls (ages 12) we ticketed with disorderly conduct for playing "ding-dong-ditch". They were given the citation after being chased by a man, one of them grabbed and shoved, then he followed her into the house where he proceeded to push an older (age 16) sibling down the stairs, leaving her with bruises/scratches...so the girls called 911! So they basically turned themself in, because of this ADULT entering the house and them feeling the need to call 911. Anyway, long story short, they are now only charging him with the same disorderly conduct charge as the girls. We are in the process of accepting the offer on my daughter, and want to know the difference in charges between prowling and disorderly conduct. Is prowling a lesser offense?

Please help!
Something doesn't add up. He entered a home without permission and pushed a girl down the stairs and he's only being charged with disorderly conduct? I'd be thinking felony assault-especially since (as I understand your story), the one he shoved down the stairs wasn't involved in any way.

Your story isn't completely clear, but it looks like one of the girls grabbed and shoved him, as well. Since she was a juvenile, the penalties will be less severe, but I'd think that would be assault, too.

Giving someone the same charge for entering a home and shoving someone down the stairs as another person gets for ringing a doorbell and running away just doesn't make sense. There must be more to the story.

singlemom21

Okay....I will try again. Ding dong ditch first of all makes sense to those who grew up in Wisconsin as the other user understood it just fine. Ding dong ditch = ring door bell and run away before the person answers. Sorry, my brain was thinking faster than I was typing.

The 3 girls went out playing ding dong ditch (which NO we don't support) but with my daughter...it was her first time. One of the guys that lived in a house that was ditched, we don't even know who he was was hiding in the bushes. He then chased them back to the girls house. Two girls got inside, and he caught one girl in the front yard, grabbed her and pushed her towards the house, at which time the older sister (age 16) came out. He let the younger girl go, and entered the house as they were both retreating back into the house. At which time all 3 girls ran upstairs and called 911, and the 16 year old was in a yelling match with him as he proceeded to enter the house and subsequently pushed her down the stairs. He banged some stuff around in the house, and he left when he heard the sirens.

YES, he is only being charged with disorderly conduct. The assistant DA won't press charges no matter how much we fight. And no...the one he pushed down the stairs was NOT involved in the ding-dong-ditching. None of the girls fought back in any way...just ran when they got the chance. They were scared 12 year olds! The only crime they did was ring a doorbell and run. THAT IS THE COMPLETE STORY. It's been a mess, and unfortunately because one of the parents made a formal complaint against the arresting officer involved, they now will not drop the charges.

BUT BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION was is prowling a lesser charge? All 3 of the girls were cited with disorderly conduct, and one family wants it to go to a prowling charge.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would bet that the dude was hiding in his OWN shrubbery because this is not the first time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">