• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boriqua101

What is the name of your state? florida

i am 17 years old with a scholarship to a college, my grandparents will be funding the rest of it. i have a place to move into and i will have a job. my mom is trying to tell me i cant do it. i asked a deputy and a attorney and they both said she cant do anything about me moving out is that true? i need to know cause my classes start april 9th

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? florida

i am 17 years old with a scholarship to a college, my grandparents will be funding the rest of it. i have a place to move into and i will have a job. my mom is trying to tell me i cant do it. i asked a deputy and a attorney and they both said she cant do anything about me moving out is that true? i need to know cause my classes start april 9th
What kind of college has classes that start April 9?

mommyof4

Unless you are legally emancipated by marriage, active military service or a court of law, your mother has the right to tell you where you will live until you are 18 years of age. The police were wrong. Being accepted to college (with classes that start appx. 1 month after spring break, no less) does not legally emancipate you.

Forgot to add the little fact that in order to file a petition for legal emancipation in FL, your parents have to file for you.

mom_in_colorado

many classes have late starts

Being accepted to college (with classes that start appx. 1 month after spring break, no less)
silverplum said:

Directly from my community college catalogue:

ASE 134 AUTOMOTIVE EMISSIONS - 2 Credits
30440 F04 MTWR 0300PM-0900PM 4/10-4/23 4/11 A$

And this was only the first page...
Community colleges are changing their start times to the second week of April because many students are parents themselves, and this start up and 'spring break' coincides with the public school Spring breaks. Eases the already problematic child care that this population faces.
More;
(Business intro classes)
30156 F01 S 0100PM-0500PM 4/7-5/5 4/9 H M3510
30493 F04 M 0530PM-0930PM 4/9-5/7 4/9 A CSB3060

Off topic:
What kind of parent would deter their child from starting college?
Unless there are other (bigger) issues involved, but this forum is for legal issues and is not a psyche board (like so many on here try to make it). Boriqua merely wanted an answer to the emancipation issue.
Good luck Boriqua.

mom_in_colorado

many classes have late starts

Being accepted to college (with classes that start appx. 1 month after spring break, no less)
silverplum said:

Community colleges are changing their start times to the second week of April because many students are parents themselves, and this start up and 'spring break' coincides with the public school Spring breaks. Eases the already problematic child care that this population faces.
More;
(Business intro classes)

Off topic:
What kind of parent would deter their child from starting college a little early?
Unless there are other (bigger) issues involved, but this forum is for legal issues and is not a psyche board (like so many on here try to make it). Boriqua merely wanted an answer to the emancipation issue.
Good luck Boriqua.

Silverplum

silverplum said:

mom_in_colorado said:

More;
(Business intro classes)
Thanks for answering FOR OP. That's not what I was after, but thanks. I guess.

mom_in_colorado said:
Off topic:
What kind of parent would deter their child from starting college?
Good luck Boriqua.
Thanks for letting us/me know that this is a legal board. Also for letting us/me know what it is you think OP wanted to know. I can't imagine how I/we got along without your guidance. :rolleyes:

I do wonder: what is a "psyche" board??

AlanShore

silverplum said:

More;
(Business intro classes)

Off topic:
What kind of parent would deter their child from starting college a little early?
Good luck Boriqua.
This is one of the weirdest post of 2007. You want to explain how we make it a 'psyche board"?
It still does not make sense that shes 17 going to college with out a high school degree.

mommyof4

Even if the classes started on Christmas Eve or Good Friday, that has no effect on the Florida State Statutes or the right of a parent to retain ultimate control over his or her child unitl legal emancipation occurs by age, marriage, active military service, or court order....which is what I said in my reply.:rolleyes:

So the point was**************?

Psyche!!! (sorry, had a flashback from really bad 80's slang.:p )

AlanShore

Even if the classes started on Christmas Eve or Good Friday, that has no effect on the Florida State Statutes or the right of a parent to retain ultimate control over his or her child unitl legal emancipation occurs by age, marriage, active military service, or court order....which is what I said in my reply.:rolleyes:

So the point was**************?

Psyche!!! (sorry, had a flashback from really bad 80's slang.:p )
Concur. :D

mom_in_colorado

entertainment only

This is one of the weirdest post of 2007.
Only trying to prove that there are some classes that have non-traditional start times.

You want to explain how we make it a 'psyche board"?
This forum is filled with assumptions of all kinds in the replies. These assumptions do not attempt to answer any 'legal' question, and instead try to probe into the underlying motives by reading into the situation facts that have not been stated by the OP. What difference does it make why a college class starts at a non-traditional time? This has NOTHING to do with the legal question posed by the OP.

It still does not make sense that shes 17 going to college with out a high school degree.
I fail to see where the OP stated that she/he gave any info about her HS graduation date.
Again, what does that have to do with emancipation laws in FL? See above reply re: psych.

mommyof4

I think you are confused. The OP did not specifically ask about legal emancipation. The OP asked if it was true that it was legal to leave home without parental consent before reaching the age of 18. (that answer is NO, it is not true.)

I told the OP that the only way to legally leave home without parental conset is if the minor is granted legal emancipation.

The OP was asked if graduation from HS had occurred. We are still awaiting that reply.

Nothing you have said, whether it is emotional in nature or not, changes the correct information the OP has recieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">