• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a 17 year old living with me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikerosoftpro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hello and thanks for any help in advance. This is a weird situation so please bear with me. I am a 33 year old male who is letting a 17 year old girl live at my residence. Now, I know this sounds bad but it’s just to help her out. Nothing more. She is friend I met awhile back who my daughter who is 10, has come to call her big sister. She is surprisingly mature for her age, but still she’s 17 so. She was recently asked to leave the place she was staying and had no place to go. She was living with a lady who expected her to babysit when she wasnt working, but she didnt so they asked her to leave. I have plenty of room and told her she could stay here till she is 18 and can get a place on her own. She moved out of her parents’ home about a year ago and they know where she works. I don’t think there is any issue there because they really have nothing to do with her. She was told today at work that I could get into trouble because she is minor living with me. Of course people think I want sex or something because I know it seems weird. I just don’t want to see her end up in the streets or with someone who does have ill intentions. I just want to know if there is a law against her staying here. If so, I’ll help her find another place to stay, I am not trying to risk myself getting into any trouble. I am honestly just helping her out. Thanks again!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do her parents know that she is living there?

I didn't ask if they know where she works. I didn't ask if they have anything to do with her. I asked if they know where she is living and with whom. Just so there isn't any question about what information I am looking for.

mikerosoftpro

No they do not as far as I know; they won’t even return her calls. She was adopted from another country when she was 6, I don’t know if that makes a difference, probably doesn’t.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No they do not as far as I know; they won’t even return her calls. She was adopted from another country when she was 6, I don’t know if that makes a difference, probably doesn’t.
If her parents do not know where she is living, YOU could get in trouble for interference of custody. You should contact her parents and let them know she is with you. Adoption makes no difference. Is she still in school or did drop out? There are truancy concerns as well as custody concerns. What happens if she needs medical care?

mikerosoftpro

No she has already graduated. She starts college in the fall. As far as medical, she had to go to the Dr a few weeks ago and had to pay out of pocket. I see what your saying though if she needs medical care and they need guardians permission. Honestly, I dont get to involved, just wanted to help her out. She has a good head on her shoulders and been working since 14, has a ton of money saved up in the bank, maxed Roth IRAs, etc. Shes not just some runaway kid. I just have to look out for me, thats why I am here asking. Thank you for your help so far. Ill ask her about her parents knowing were she lives and letting them know. They dont answer her calls or text so not sure how she will go about telling them.

justin1

If her parents not attending her calls and messages , then you should contact them. Meet her parents and inform them about your concern. If they have no problem with this then you can go on with your adoption process.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
If her parents not attending her calls and messages , then you should contact them. Meet her parents and inform them about your concern. If they have no problem with this then you can go on with your adoption process.
Justin, the OP didn't indicate that he plans to adopt the girl -- he simply mentioned that she had been adopted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">