• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Guardians

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ancientzero

~QUICK HELP~Question on Guardians

What is the name of your state? California
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Today I experienced something totally irrational. I'm 15, and today I went to a religious activity where everything went well except at the end. My parents could not pick me up in a few hours. They insisted that they had all legal power over my body and that I could not choose to go walk home instead of my parents picking me up. This is the first time I've ever heard about this law. They said that "if anything happened to me if I walked home, it would be THEIR responsibility" and therefore they should hold me. I felt violated and scared for these are people I just met today and I ended up running away.

This was totally unexpected, for I walk home from many occasions and other than these set of individuals, no one has ever legally questioned my way of getting home. I was harassed for they insisted for me to stay on their property. Yes, I do know that I'm a minor, but I do know that I have rights too. I couldn't find any reason for me to be with them: It was before curfew and my parents know I walk home.

Did they have the right to hold me? Neither my parents nor I had any verbal or written agreement that they were in control of me.

If they did have the right over me, exactly WHERE does this say in the California law books.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">