• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on house arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebee

What is the name of your state? Florida

My understanding of the laws of house arrest are that you can go no where other than to school, work, and church, and have a certain amount of time to do so. My 17-year-old friend on house arrest believes that he can do things in that allotted amount of time that obviously aren't illegal, for example getting gas.

Getting gas makes sense to me, because you cannot drive without it, and therefore would not be able to get to work or school, etc.
However, he has tried to convince me that he can also drop me off at my house (stay in the car, let me out at my house) without consequence. Is this true, or does that violate house arrest?

I know that he cannot drive to pick me up, but if I am already at his house, is he allowed to drop me off at my house on his way to work?

I am very concerned, as is he, about not breaking any more laws, and do not want to contribute to him possibly violating the rules of house arrest. Thank you :)

Last edited:

The Occultist

Does he have some sort of PO? or at least some legal contact? (the answer is yes). He needs to direct these questions to them.

ebee

He's not been convicted of anything. He's under house arrest until his trial. Therefore no PO.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

He's not been convicted of anything. He's under house arrest until his trial.
OK, well that's a useful fact to have.

Back to The Occultist's answer - ask the guy under arrest. He should know. If he doesn't know then he needs to pay more attention to the things that are affecting his life. Have him ask his public defender who he needs to contact with his questions.

Indiana Filer

As a probation officer, I would consider him to be in violation if he stops at your house to drop you off. He is allowed to go to work, school, and church, and anything else approved by the Courts or probation department. He can stop at the gas station, but nothing else.

dhawk52

He's not been convicted of anything. He's under house arrest until his trial. Therefore no PO.
He actually should have a probation officer that is overseeing his case until his court date (he is not classified as being on probation, but is pending and would be on something like bond supervision). Someone is supervising his house arrest and it is probably a probation officer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">