• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question From South Carolina, Help Please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCHELPNEEDED

What is the name of your state? south Carolina

Ok so here is the deal. I'm 21 years of age and my girlfriend is 16 years of age. I've tried doing alot of research myself and i've learned alot just to be safe but I wanna post something on here so that I could get a more legal and better advice.

Now my girlfriend and I tried coming out in the open before and her Mom blew up. Her mom is totally against us, as well as her dad. We decided to stay together and just let things calm down. Now we would really like to be "out in the open" so that we can out to eat when we want, see a movie when we want, and just spend time together when we want. she and I have been together for 6 months this way, and are just waiting for the right now.

Now before you guys get on here and tell me to wear a condom and so on and so forth, we aren't like that! We both have the same beliefs of waiting until marriage and of course we haven't 'messed around'. Now I know the age of 16 is the age of consent in south Carolina so if we came "out in the open" her mom couldn't try and get me on that however we've said we're goin to wait until she's 17 to come out in the open so that her mom couldn't send her away or anything crazy like that, because her mom is crazy!

So with you guys best knowledge of the law could you give me some advice on what we could do? Could she move out with another member of her family and be 'out in the open'? or what? When could she move out with me and me not get in trouble? Just wondering so taht I cover all bases. Being cautious here**************.

Thanks for anyones help.

BelizeBreeze

Her parents can get an order of protection against you and the next time you contact their daughter either by phone, in person or other device, can have you arrested. It has nothing to do with age of consent and everything to do with her being a minor.

when she turns 17 though in south carolina she's considered an adult though.
No she isn't. The age of majority in South Carolina is 18, meaning that until then she is a minor and her parents (and the law) CAN keep you away from her.

Smartyjones

you said you guys are stayin together i think you're making it worst......remember she still is a minor so.....you or her have no say in anything if her parents decide to get a court order to keep you two out of contact..until she's 18

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">