• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questioning a minor in school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigSis

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I need some advice. My little brother lives in Florida with my mom. This past weekend he got into some trouble with some friends. All I know is what he told my mom. They broke into a mans garage and got some beer and broke a few bottles. The next day the police came and asked my brother some questions and he told everything he knew. He showed them where they got the beer. The man who's garage got broken into did not press charges but worked out a work deal. On the other hand there was a vehicle broke into which my brother claims he nothing to do with. The other boys were found with pills in their pocket. Just yesterday an investigator went to my brother's school and questioned him without any parent or lawyer present. Of course he talked because he thought he was getting arrested. My brother is only 14 years old and is not mental but don't know much about these procedures, which I couldn't see any 14 year old knowing. My mom is a truck driver and was in NC which my brother was staying with her boss. My question is. Can a minor be questioned by the police without a parent or attorney present? Does the school have to allow him to call a parent or guardian? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

BigSis said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Can a minor be questioned by the police without a parent or attorney present? Does the school have to allow him to call a parent or guardian?
Yes. Next question?

effy_2012

If your brother wanted an adult there....all he had to do was ask and be quiet until he got to make a phonecall to the person he wanted there

Just Blue

effy_2012 said:
If your brother wanted an adult there....all he had to do was ask and be quiet until he got to make a phonecall to the person he wanted there

The child wasn't under arrest...

BigSis

Okay. He didn't know he had them rights because he was not asked. Shouldn't they have asked him? They shouldn't assume he knows all his rights.

Just Blue

BigSis said:
Okay. He didn't know he had them rights because he was not asked. Shouldn't they have asked him? They shouldn't assume he knows all his rights.

He was not under arrest! They do not have to read him his rights UNLESS he has been arrested and they wish to question him...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">