• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questioning a minor without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cranda2

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Last week, I was staying at at motel with my daughter. We were there from late Monday night until Wed. evening, when the police showed up and started questioning me about a particular vehicle that was seen there. I told them that I thought I knew the vehicle that they were refering to, it had been in and out of the parking lot several times the day before. But I didn't know who they were, who they were there to see, or what room they had gone into. Next thing I know, I'm in the back of the police car being threatened with jail and one of the officers was questioning my 8yr. old daughter! Being in the back of the patrol car, I obviously couldn't hear what they asked her or what she said to them. I was under the impression that it is illegal to question a minor without a parent or guardian present and giving consent? Am I wrong? I'm seriously considering filing a complaint.

BelizeBreeze

Cranda2 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
Last week, I was staying at at motel with my daughter. We were there from late Monday night until Wed. evening, when the police showed up and started questioning me about a particular vehicle that was seen there. I told them that I thought I knew the vehicle that they were refering to, it had been in and out of the parking lot several times the day before. But I didn't know who they were, who they were there to see, or what room they had gone into. Next thing I know, I'm in the back of the police car being threatened with jail and one of the officers was questioning my 8yr. old daughter! Being in the back of the patrol car, I obviously couldn't hear what they asked her or what she said to them. I was under the impression that it is illegal to question a minor without a parent or guardian present and giving consent? Am I wrong? I'm seriously considering filing a complaint.
You are seriously under the wrong impression. File whatever you feel like. However, the police have every right to question your child.

Next time, it might be a good idea not to take your daughter on your drug trips.

Cranda2

Just for the record, we were staying at the motel because my husband and I were having problems! There were no drugs involved in any way, shape or form. Just because it happened to be a motel where drug activity occured, doesn't necessarily mean that I was involved in it! When I rented the room, I had no idea that it was such a 'dive'. The room was cheap and close to where I needed to be!

CdwJava

Then why were tyhe police questioning you about a car that came and went from the hotel, and why did they put you in the police car?

Something about you or your condition, your history, or their belief in your involvement gave them reason to believe you were up to something.

But, to back up Belize's statement, it is not unlawful or improper for the cops to speak to your child without your consent.

- Carl

Cranda2

That's the question that I would like an answer to. I don't know what there was that possibly could have given them a reason to harass me. I have no criminal record at all, I was at the motel room, minding my own business, I never even spoke to anyone at that hotel, I didn't have a bunch of people coming over there. My daughter and I were quiet, didn't make any noise... I don't understand any of it! I cooperated with them from the minute that they started questioning me, I continued to cooperate with them as best I could. No, I didn't give them any information about these people because I simply didn't have any information to give them. They were threatening to arrest me for 'obstruction of justice'. And, obviously, they had no basis for that because I wasn't arrested. It makes absolutely no sense to me or to anyone else that I've tallked to about it. I know that when the police come and question a person they usually have a good reason to do so, but not this time!

CdwJava

Well, something or someone gave them reason to beliueve you were involved in something. It could be that someone said the occuapnts of the vehicle or vehicles were going in and out of your room - who knows.

In any event, the police can speak to your minor child without your consent.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">