• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions about being kicked out of house at 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLM1

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am 17 and have recently gotten into a few big fights with my parents about their rules. My parents along with advice from my psychiatrist decided either I agree to the rules they have with no debate, or I leave the house in two weeks.

Now is the part where I am very confused. Basically my psychiatrist says you do not need a parents permission to leave the house and you can be kicked out at 17. He says they do not have to go to court or get me emancipated. Is this in any way correct?
If this is not correct and I get kicked out of the house can my parents get in trouble? If the psychiatrist is wrong can he get in trouble?

Also if a psychiatrist knows about an isolated incident of abuse and not only does nothing about it but tells me police would not care or believe me if I told them can he get in trouble?

If anyone has any legal advice on this please let me know quickly I have one week and 5 days left to figure this out

DSudd

Until you are 18 I think your parents are responsible for you unless you are emancipated. If possible you could check with your counselor at school and see if they can offer any advice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The psychiatrist is a mandated reporter. However you need to follow your parent's rules. And what type of "abuse" are you talking about?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am 17 and have recently gotten into a few big fights with my parents about their rules. My parents along with advice from my psychiatrist decided either I agree to the rules they have with no debate, or I leave the house in two weeks.

Now is the part where I am very confused. Basically my psychiatrist says you do not need a parents permission to leave the house and you can be kicked out at 17. He says they do not have to go to court or get me emancipated. Is this in any way correct?
If this is not correct and I get kicked out of the house can my parents get in trouble? If the psychiatrist is wrong can he get in trouble?

Also if a psychiatrist knows about an isolated incident of abuse and not only does nothing about it but tells me police would not care or believe me if I told them can he get in trouble?

If anyone has any legal advice on this please let me know quickly I have one week and 5 days left to figure this out
What's to figure out? Follow your parents' rules until you're 18 and then move out and take care of yourself. That doesn't seem like rocket science.

mommyof4

...and just to make something very clear...

Your parents may tell you to live somewhere else. Their duty is to support you unti you are 18. That support doesn't mean that they have to allow you live in their home. Ever heard of kids being sent to military school because they refuse to adhere to the rules and expectations the parents have set?

I, too, am curious as to what the isolated incident of abuse is.

HLM1

So he did not report it and he told me the police would not believe me if I told.

What should I do about this? Any chance I could win some money or anything?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So he did not report it and he told me the police would not believe me if I told.

What should I do about this? Any chance I could win some money or anything?
Umm, no. This is not the lottery and you won't win some money but I now know why your psychiatrist didn't believe you. Shake downs are NOT popular.

HLM1

You are missing the point, the psychiatrist does believe me, my dad told him what he did. HE is telling me that police would not believe me. If I end up leaving my house I will need money, If he broke some type of law and caused me to either suffer or be in danger can I not sue him or something? I know this isnt the lottery.

Eekamouse

Get a job if you need money. If you can't follow your parents' rules and have become such a problem that they feel like they have no choice but to kick you out, you better be prepared to do things for yourself such as paying your own way. You're almost 18 years old and who do you think will be responsible for taking care of you then? YOU will be. Maybe you ought to think about respecting your parents and appreciating the fact that without them. you've got no where to go and can't take care of yourself even if you did. Quit looking for the easy way out by hoping to find a way to extort money out of them.

HLM1

Ok this is getting annoying I came here because I had some legal questions, not to discuss how I should act with my family and what I should be doing. You do not know the situation. I did not do anything to deserve to be kicked out of the house. I do have a job and pay for most of my stuff anyways, however I could not afford to live completely on my own right now.
I'm not 18 yet and I'm not asking for tips on how to prepare myself to live on my own. I do not feel my parents deserve any respect, especially after abusing me.

I came here to ask if my parents can legally kick me out of my house without giving me anything or getting me emancipated while I am 17. I also want to know if what my psychiatrist said was legal. I want to know what it means if those things are not legal.
I am not trying to extort money from anyone, if I have to leave my house I'm not going to do it with no money from my parents if they are still legally responsible for me. Also if I can get any money from anything that happened, then I will need it living on my own. I do not want to have to drop out of school to get a full time job, I'm a junior with a 4.2 GPA.

Once again if you can give me legal advice please do, if your going to give me advice on how I should live my life without knowing the whole situation please do not post anything at all

mommyof4

Ok this is getting annoying I came here because I had some legal questions, not to discuss how I should act with my family and what I should be doing. You do not know the situation. I did not do anything to deserve to be kicked out of the house. I do have a job and pay for most of my stuff anyways, however I could not afford to live completely on my own right now.
I'm not 18 yet and I'm not asking for tips on how to prepare myself to live on my own. I do not feel my parents deserve any respect, especially after abusing me.

I came here to ask if my parents can legally kick me out of my house without giving me anything or getting me emancipated while I am 17. I also want to know if what my psychiatrist said was legal. I want to know what it means if those things are not legal.
I am not trying to extort money from anyone, if I have to leave my house I'm not going to do it with no money from my parents if they are still legally responsible for me. Also if I can get any money from anything that happened, then I will need it living on my own. I do not want to have to drop out of school to get a full time job, I'm a junior with a 4.2 GPA.

Once again if you can give me legal advice please do, if your going to give me advice on how I should live my life without knowing the whole situation please do not post anything at all

I already answered your question. Yes, they can force you to live somewhere else. However, they are required to make sure all of your basic needs are met until you are 18. They cannot just throw you out in the streets with nothing more than a wish of good luck and the clothes on your back.

They will not be successful in getting a court to order you to become legally emancipated. One, you would be 18 before this ever got in front of a judge and 2, it must be shown that you are 100% capable of supporting yourself, have a place to live (and, in most cases, that you have already been living seperate and apart from them with no support), that you are capable and have a history of conducting your life and your behavior in the manner of a mature, upstanding adult, and that you will continue with your education with accpetable results.

If they just change the locks and igonre your existence, then you need to contact CPS to inform them of this situation and to get some help.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I already answered your question. Yes, they can force you to live somewhere else. However, they are required to make sure all of your basic needs are met until you are 18. They cannot just throw you out in the streets with nothing more than a wish of good luck and the clothes on your back.
Operative word here is bolded. They do not need to provide anything except the basics - and not designer ones, either. So, a couple of tees, a couple of pairs of pants, underwear, socks & shoes from WalMart would be considered adequate. Food does not have to be food you *like*. They can provide you with liver & onions daily, if they choose. All they need to is make sure you have your basic food needs met daily. They don't have to provide you with a nice bedroom - a mattress on the floor with a blanket will suffice.

SO be careful what you wish for.

They will not be successful in getting a court to order you to become legally emancipated. One, you would be 18 before this ever got in front of a judge and 2, it must be shown that you are 100% capable of supporting yourself, have a place to live (and, in most cases, that you have already been living seperate and apart from them with no support), that you are capable and have a history of conducting your life and your behavior in the manner of a mature, upstanding adult, and that you will continue with your education with accpetable results.

If they just change the locks and igonre your existence, then you need to contact CPS to inform them of this situation and to get some help.
However, they could ship you off to boarding school for the remainder of your schooling. Or to Putrid Aunt Rita (no offense to anyone named Rita). They don't have to let you live under their roof or with a friend - they just have to make sure there is a roof over your head.

mommyof4

Operative word here is bolded. They do not need to provide anything except the basics - and not designer ones, either. So, a couple of tees, a couple of pairs of pants, underwear, socks & shoes from WalMart would be considered adequate. Food does not have to be food you *like*. They can provide you with liver & onions daily, if they choose. All they need to is make sure you have your basic food needs met daily. They don't have to provide you with a nice bedroom - a mattress on the floor with a blanket will suffice.

SO be careful what you wish for.

However, they could ship you off to boarding school for the remainder of your schooling. Or to Putrid Aunt Rita (no offense to anyone named Rita). They don't have to let you live under their roof or with a friend - they just have to make sure there is a roof over your head.

Yep, yep, yep....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">