• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding AL majority age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celestialOnion

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I'm seventeen and will be eighteen next month. I'm still in high school; I'll graduate in May. I already know the age of majority is nineteen in Alabama, and that I can be emancipated at eighteen with parental consent.
What I want to know is if I tell my grandparent (whom I am living with) that I want to move out after I'm eighteen but before I graduate, is there really anything my grandparent or my mother can do about it? And if they can, what are the chances that they would do so?
It really bothers me that a state can make a law (such as that of age of majority) that conflicts with the Constitution. By federal standards at age eighteen, I am responsible for myself, and Alabama makes it that much harder for me to assert this right.
Thanks in advance to anyone who has any insight to this. Any help is much appreciated.

Happy Trails

celestialOnion said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I'm seventeen and will be eighteen next month. I'm still in high school; I'll graduate in May. I already know the age of majority is nineteen in Alabama, and that I can be emancipated at eighteen with parental consent.
What I want to know is if I tell my grandparent (whom I am living with) that I want to move out after I'm eighteen but before I graduate, is there really anything my grandparent or my mother can do about it?
If you are not emancipated, this could cause you problems with your school. Where do you plan on living? How do you plan on supporting yourself?

celestialOnion said:
And if they can, what are the chances that they would do so?.
Of course no one can answer that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">