• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe1212

I live in MA.. Im 18 years old and have a 16 year old girlfriend (who will be turning 17 in a few weeks). Her parents took a restraining order out on me (even though there was no immediate or long term risks of physical or mental abuse,harasment etc. they just used this to keep me away for whatever reasons ive yet to understand..therefore there is no basis for this restraining order to be in effect but it is). But I was wondering that at 17 in the eyes of the law in MA you are conisedered an adult, and was wondering if she could drop the restraining order herself once she turns 17. And if so how would she have to go about this.

Thank you

Silverplum

I live in MA.. Im 18 years old and have a 16 year old girlfriend (who will be turning 17 in a few weeks). Her parents took a restraining order out on me (even though there was no immediate or long term risks of physical or mental abuse,harasment etc. they just used this to keep me away for whatever reasons ive yet to understand..therefore there is no basis for this restraining order to be in effect but it is). But I was wondering that at 17 in the eyes of the law in MA you are conisedered an adult, and was wondering if she could drop the restraining order herself once she turns 17. And if so how would she have to go about this.
Thank you
No, she's not an adult at 17.
No, she can't drop the RO herself.

Just Blue

Thank you
You don't have to understand their reasons, and they don't owe you an explanation! They want you to stay away from their MINOR daughter, you didn't, and now they have a RO to keep you away from her.
In the eyes of Massachusetts legal system you are a minor until you are 18....When she is 18 she can move out of her parents home and date you, (but, I would place a good wager that she will forget about you long before then!).. Until then leave her alone!;)

AlanShore

Thank you
SO they just dont like you because of your age?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
at 17 in the eyes of the law in MA you are conisedered an adult

Um, I'm in MA too, sonny, and that's .....not correct. For SOME THINGS she can be treated as an adult but until her 18 birthday, she lives where her parents tell her to and she doesn't see anyone her parents tell her she doesn't see. She cannot drop the RO and if SHE contacts YOU, YOU are the one who will go to jail.

Joe1212

You don't have to understand their reasons, and they don't owe you an explanation! They want you to stay away from their MINOR daughter, you didn't, and now they have a RO to keep you away from her.
In the eyes of Massachusetts legal system you are a minor until you are 18....When she is 18 she can move out of her parents home and date you, (but, I would place a good wager that she will forget about you long before then!).. Until then leave her alone!;)

Reasons for a restraining order...
(a) attempting to cause or causing physical harm;

(b) placing another in fear of imminent serious physical harm;

(c) causing another to engage involuntarily in sexual relations by force, threat or duress

Restraining orders are certainly not ment to break kids up in petty relationships because if that where the case there would be thousands of restraining orders against kids every day..This family used the court system to make up for bad parenting (and take my word because the detective in my town said the same thing..) And before she dated me when she was 15 and was dating a 19 yr. old her parents said nor did one thing...but we are comparing apples and oranges with that i guess....

And can people with extensive knowledge of MA. law respond to this because ive been told by a Lt. of police that she could drop it.

Thank you

Silverplum

(c) causing another to engage involuntarily in sexual relations by force, threat or duress

Restraining orders are certainly not ment to break kids up in petty relationships because if that where the case there would be thousands of restraining orders against kids every day..This family used the court system to make up for bad parenting (and take my word because the detective in my town said the same thing..) And before she dated me when she was 15 and was dating a 19 yr. old her parents said nor did one thing...but we are comparing apples and oranges with that i guess....

And can people with extensive knowledge of MA. law respond to this because ive been told by a Lt. of police that she could drop it.
Thank you
Is a "Lt. of police" the SAME as a judge or an attorney?? No? Then s/he doesn't know.

You managed to find all that copied/pasted info somewhere online -- and you still don't know the law on the q you want? Keep googling, dude. Or take the advice you've received.

Last edited:

Joe1212

What I just posted was an answer to the qoute dude, which in reality is 100% on the mark. And no a Lt. is not an Attorney nor a Judge, but Ill take my advice from a Lt. over a wanna-be judge or attorney (what ever you wish you wanted to be as a child) any day..ive read your post on other threads and there meaningless so unless you bring somthing of relative importance dont post on my thread...dude....

fairisfair

What I just posted was an answer to the qoute dude, which in reality is 100% on the mark. And no a Lt. is not an Attorney nor a Judge, but Ill take my advice from a Lt. over a wanna-be judge or attorney (what ever you wish you wanted to be as a child) any day..ive read your post on other threads and there meaningless so unless you bring somthing of relative importance dont post on my thread...dude....
What you just posted dud, oh oops, I meant dude, was a cut and paste from a women's organization website for victims of domestic abuse. Oh here, let me give you the entire link

http://www.womenslaw.org/MA/MA_how_to.htm

scroll down the the Massachusettes definition of abuse.

Oh my, what is that? Your exact words!!! what a coincidence

The Massachusetts Abuse Prevention Act defines "abuse" as the occurrence of one or more of the following acts between "family or household members":

Actual or attempted physical abuse
Placing another in fear of serious physical harm
Causing another to engage involuntarily in sexual relations by force, threat of force or duress.

Do not challenge the oogle of Google. :p
Those are merely some reasons for the issuance of a Prevention of Abuse order, not every reason for the issuance of a restraining order.

Silverplum

"On the mark" for what? To prove MOM is correct in getting an RO against you? It sure didn't prove you that BabyGirl can drop the RO herself, or that BabyGirl can do as she pleases when she turns 17. THOSE were your questions.

Public Service Announcement: If you smoke LESS pot, you can keep track of your own questions better. ;)

I am a fabulous dude. Love me, worship at my fountain! :D :p

fairisfair

the only thing you are right about OP is that restraining orders are used in place of good parenting. Perhaps you would prefer that her father just kick your butt down the road?

ezmarelda

"On the mark" for what? To prove MOM is correct in getting an RO against you? It sure didn't prove you that BabyGirl can drop the RO herself, or that BabyGirl can do as she pleases when she turns 17. THOSE were your questions.

Public Service Announcement: If you smoke LESS pot, you can keep track of your own questions better. ;)

I am a fabulous dude. Love me, worship at my fountain! :D :p
When did you become a "dude":confused: :eek: ...and what does loving hubby think?;)

Just Blue

Thank you

Please share the Dept that the Lt. works for ...I would be interested in talking to him...or her...

And call every county court in the state and ask if the 17 year old minor can drop a RO that her PARENTS obtained...go on....I will eat my hat if ONE of them say differently than what you have been advised here!!!!

AlanShore

Thank you
Always love the OP's that come here asking a question and seeking advice, then here them complain about the advice they go and then try to teach us. HAHAHAHAHA. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">