• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jman1217

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I am 16 years old, I live in Florida, and I have a domestic violence retraining order against the mother of my 1 year old daughter. My mom is trying to force me to talk/see her, she as even called the school i attend to try and get the girl I have the order against in school there. Can my mother get in trouble for this? When we get into an argument can I leave for a few hours without being considered a runaway?:confused:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I am 16 years old, I live in Florida, and I have a domestic violence retraining order against the mother of my 1 year old daughter. My mom is trying to force me to talk/see her, she as even called the school i attend to try and get the girl I have the order against in school there. Can my mother get in trouble for this? When we get into an argument can I leave for a few hours without being considered a runaway?:confused:
DO NOT have any contact with this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
YOU can get in trouble for your Mom trying to contact baby's Mom on your behalf. And... if you're not already doing it, I would suggest some Anger Management classes. Now is the time to change how you deal with people who wind you up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am reading this as the OP has a restraining order protecting HIM from the gf. I could be wrong but that is how it is written.
I am 16 years old, I live in Florida, and I have a domestic violence retraining order against the mother of my 1 year old daughter.
This does NOT say SHE has one against him.

Antigone*

I am reading this as the OP has a restraining order protecting HIM from the gf. I could be wrong but that is how it is written.

This does NOT say SHE has one against him.
That is why I responded generically. I was very unclear as to what was going on.

eerelations

I see it as this:

• OP is 16
  • OP has restraining order against ex-GF
  • OP's Mom doesn't like this
  • OP's Mom is sneaking around OP's back trying to force OP's ex-GF into a close situation with OP so OP will be forced to talk to her
  • OP wants to know two things:
    1. Will his Mom get into trouble for trying to get the OP's ex-GF to violate the restraining order? and
    2. If OP gets into an argument with his Mom and storms out of the house for a few hours to cool off, will the legal system classify him as a runaway?
[/LIST]

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOU can get in trouble for your Mom trying to contact baby's Mom on your behalf. And... if you're not already doing it, I would suggest some Anger Management classes. Now is the time to change how you deal with people who wind you up.
Are you reading the same thing I am reading? Why does OP need Anger Management classes if he has a restraining order against his ex girlfriend?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I see it as this:

• OP is 16
  • OP has restraining order against ex-GF
  • OP's Mom doesn't like this
  • OP's Mom is sneaking around OP's back trying to force OP's ex-GF into a close situation with OP so OP will be forced to talk to her
  • OP wants to know two things:
    1. Will his Mom get into trouble for trying to get the OP's ex-GF to violate the restraining order? and
    2. If OP gets into an argument with his Mom and storms out of the house for a few hours to cool off, will the legal system classify him as a runaway?
[/LIST]
That is how I am reading it as well. OP's mom could possibly get in trouble for acting on ex-GF's behalf. Also ex-gf (if encouraging this) could get in trouble. OP could get classified as a runaway depending on when he leaves, how long he is gone, whether his mom decides to pursue it.

LdiJ

Are you reading the same thing I am reading? Why does OP need Anger Management classes if he has a restraining order against his ex girlfriend?
Perhaps because of his anger issues towards his mother?...the whole, needing to take off to cool off bit?

jman1217

I am not trying to be in contact with her. My mom will go pick her up and bring her to our house and I leave and go to my new gfs house. I want nothing to do with my ex. I want to see my daughter, and be there for her, but my moms i almost trying to force me to be back with her and I dont want to. If we were talking about our child together than that would be different but my mom wants me to get back with her.

eerelations

Perhaps because of his anger issues towards his mother?...the whole, needing to take off to cool off bit?
Taking off for awhile to cool down is one of the techniques taught in anger management classes. Seems like OP's got that down pat. :cool:

I don't think the OP's the bad guy here. I think OP's Mom is using her Mom status to try and force OP into a relationship with a person the courts have deemed to be unfit and/or too dangerous to be allowed near the OP.

I think Mom needs to understand that she could get into serious trouble for this, and that OP's ex-GF could go to jail as a result of going along with OP's Mom. OP needs to spell this out to Mom. If Mom doesn't take it seriously, OP needs to consider whether he wants to go so far as reporting his Mom and his ex-GF to the relevant authorities.

Someone who could help with all this would be OP's Dad. OP, is your Dad around and if so, what does he say about all this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Taking off for awhile to cool down is one of the techniques taught in anger management classes. Seems like OP's got that down pat. :cool:

I don't think the OP's the bad guy here. I think OP's Mom is using her Mom status to try and force OP into a relationship with a person the courts have deemed to be unfit and/or too dangerous to be allowed near the OP.

I think Mom needs to understand that she could get into serious trouble for this, and that OP's ex-GF could go to jail as a result of going along with OP's Mom. OP needs to spell this out to Mom. If Mom doesn't take it seriously, OP needs to consider whether he wants to go so far as reporting his Mom and his ex-GF to the relevant authorities.

Someone who could help with all this would be OP's Dad. OP, is your Dad around and if so, what does he say about all this?
I think part of the reason OP's Mom is all up in his business is because he and restrainee have a child in common. :cool:

eerelations

I think part of the reason OP's Mom is all up in his business is because he and restrainee have a child in common. :cool:
OP has said several times that he wants to be in the child's life. Being in the child's life does not (and should not) automatically mean that he - a juvenile! - must also be forced to be in a spousal-type relationship with another person, possibly also a juvenile, whom the courts have deemed to be unfit to be anywhere near him.

Mom is not just "all up in his business" - Mom is breaking the law. Mom is also coercing another person into breaking the law. This is the real issue here.

Last edited:

BL

I don't see that as ANGER issues -- I see that as being smart.
Seems like the one that committed DV is the one who should be ordered into anger management classes.

It is well taught to take a walk . Even Adults are told that when in heated arguments with spouses ,significant others,etc .

The 16 yr. old obviously has a head on his shoulder and is trying to do what right in the situations he's in .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">