• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Earnings/Possessions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kitsune205

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm 16 years old, and I live in Michigan... I've just got a few questions reguarding my right to possessions/earnings, and a few oddball things.

1. If I have a job, is it legal for my Dad/Step Mom to take my paychecks? My employer will NOT hand out my check to anyone but me, but if my Dad/Step Mom were to get the law involved, could they take it then?

2. If I buy something with my own money, like an Xbox 360 or Dirtbike or something, is it legal for my Dad/Step Mom to take it from me AND sell it. I know they can take it, but can they legally sell it?

3. Can they keep me in the house if I refuse to give them my money?

4. Does my Step Mom automatically become my Guardian by marrying my Dad?

Thanks for helping me out guys.

CourtClerk

I'm 16 years old, and I live in Michigan... I've just got a few questions reguarding my right to possessions/earnings, and a few oddball things.

1. If I have a job, is it legal for my Dad/Step Mom to take my paychecks? My employer will NOT hand out my check to anyone but me, but if my Dad/Step Mom were to get the law involved, could they take it then?
I'm sure if your parents took it high enough, they could get your paycheck without having to get the law involved... they are your legal guardians. You own nothing at this point.
2. If I buy something with my own money, like an Xbox 360 or Dirtbike or something, is it legal for my Dad/Step Mom to take it from me AND sell it. I know they can take it, but can they legally sell it?
You only have those things because you don't have to pay for the cost of raising you. Yes, they can get rid of it.
Keep you IN the house or throw you OUT of the house? I guess the simple answer is that until you are an adult you are under the authority of your parents. Which means you do 100% of what they say.
No

Happy Trails

Yes....

722.5 Earnings of unemancipated minor.

Sec. 5.

The earnings of an employed unemancipated minor may be paid directly to him unless his parents or his guardian give notice to the employer that future payments should be made to the parents or guardian.
As a minor, you have limited rights to ownership. Yes, they can take those things away. I doubt anyone is going to do anything if they decide to get rid of them.

Yes...

Thanks for helping me out guys.
The legal definition of a guardian is - One who is legally responsible for the care and management of the person or property of an incompetent or a minor.

She would be your step parent.

CourtClerk

As far as I know, the only thing that your parents can legally do is prevent you from running away and be required to fill out certain contracts/forms for you.

I do not believe you are legally required to give your money to your parents. However, your parents can retaliate legally and refuse to buy, provide things for you.
You need to stop posting. You haven't given one piece of accurate advice yet.

Kitsune205

Huh...

Well, I suppose that the answers I got weren't quite what I was hoping for, although that's the definition of truth, lol.

But as for one of my questions that I didn't state clearly enough... I mean could they literally lock me up in my house and not let me leave, except for school, until I agreed to give them my money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. They could literally lock you in the house and not let you out except for school until you agreed to do what they say. Even if it's give them your paycheck.

I hope that answer is clear enough.

CourtClerk

Well, I suppose that the answers I got weren't quite what I was hoping for, although that's the definition of truth, lol.

But as for one of my questions that I didn't state clearly enough... I mean could they literally lock me up in my house and not let me leave, except for school, until I agreed to give them my money?
Yes, they can. In fact, I remember a noted case where a set of parents literally locked their child in their room. Nailed the windows shut and I believed practically leashed her to her bed. They weren't charged. Why? Because there was enough slack in the "leash" to get her to to the restroom so she could use it and bathe, she was fed and clean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">