• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Road Trip!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? California

My friends and I are planning a road trip this summer. We are going from Thousand Oaks, California to New York City and back. We've got a car and everything we need. The only problem is that I will only be 17 while the rest of them will be 18.

I need to know if there are any laws that will prohibit me from going across state boundaries without a parent or guardian. We all have drivers licenses and we can all drive others legally.

I also would like to know what kind of liability there will be if there is an accident or something.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place... this is my first post.

The Occultist

If your parents consent to you leaving, there is no problem. If your parents do not consent, then your friends could be charged with taking a minor across state lines.

I'm not sure what you're asking in terms of liability. Whoever is at fault for whatever sort of accident occurs will be held responsible for it. That seems like a no brainer to me :p

ok thanks
My dad is asking about liability and such.
So if there is an accident and I'm not driving I can't be held liable?
And what if, by some fluke, we do get thrown in jail? Would he have to come bail me out?

VeronicaLodge

he could bail you out or let you sit there :)

Occultist, would he/should he be able to have his parents sign some POA of some sort in case he needs medical care or something else legally that he wouldnt be able to consent to so that one of his 18 year old friends could do it ??? I don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

The only way I'd need medical care is if there was an accident: on the road or not.

I have no allergies or asthma or anything like that.

Wouldn't I just be able to call my parents for any sort of medical thing?

You have a point....
One of my friends could call.... unless they're all in comas.
Then I guess a doctor would have to call. I'll have my driver's license AND health card on me so it'd be pretty easy to get the number

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only way I'd need medical care is if there was an accident: on the road or not.

I have no allergies or asthma or anything like that.

Wouldn't I just be able to call my parents for any sort of medical thing?

Yeah, and you never get sick right?

Nope. :D

I guess you also have a point. But unless I eat some bad sushi or something, I doubt I'd get sick.

However, you are right in the fact that it could happen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, it'll still probably take some convincing.
In your first post, you said "We've got a car and everything we need."

If you don't have permission, then you don't have "everything you need".

Look, I don't even know you, but this trip you are planning is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">