• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

runaway@17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LightHeaded

What is the name of your state?New York. I'm 17 and i have run away, I will be 18 in 4 months. I ran to Chicago and i want to know if they can still arrest me for running away at 17 if they've caught me of i've surfaced after turnig 18. Please I really need to know.....i CAN'T go back

Bravo8

Well, I can't speak specifically of NY law, but generally the answer would be no.

For starters, I doubt being a runaway is a crime.....you're just a missing juvenile. If caught, you would be returned to your legal guardian or taken into the custody of the state. Once you're 18, you are a legal and free adult, why would they take you into custody? Why return you to your guardian when you have the now-legal right to walk away?

LightHeaded

Runaway@17

I don't know why they would percisely but when i used to threaten to runaway when i was younger(stupidly) they told me that they could take me to jail for it, now matter when they found me. I am scared, and very nervous, i don't want to do jail time but it would be well worth it......also, could they do anything to the person i'm with?

Happy Trails

LightHeaded said:
I don't know why they would percisely but when i used to threaten to runaway when i was younger(stupidly) they told me that they could take me to jail for it, now matter when they found me. I am scared, and very nervous, i don't want to do jail time but it would be well worth it......also, could they do anything to the person i'm with?
Now we are getting close to what you truly are scared of. Why not post all the facts so you can get an accurate answer. Like how old he is etc...

LightHeaded

Runaway@17

He's he just turned 20 yesterday..I know he believes that the risk of jail time was worth getting me out of where I was(in NY with my godparents)but I want to know just exactly whay we may have to deal with. My parents(who I lived with until 6months ago)never liked him and always were threatening to call the police if I didn't stop seeing him,which i never did. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Before I met him I had extreemly low self-esteem, was permiscus(<I can't spell, sorry)and hated my life all around....I even tried to kill myself a few times. [My parents(expecially my father) had a great deal to do with my misery, they were all aroung ****y parents.] However, since he's been in the picture my personal life, self-image, has been completely turned around, i love myself and life and my parents&god parents have only seen him as a threat to that....we've been together 2 1/2 years, 2 pregnancies(which my parents forced me to abort, i never wanted to)and a mountian of hell from everyone who doesn't understand our relationship....I just want to know what we're up against and going to have to get through when I come out of hiding, and try to get back into a school. He didn't transport me across state lines(i'm in chicago now), i took a bus and someone he knew picked me up& took me to an apartment where i'm staying until my birthday. I have my boyfriend&his friends bringing me whatever i need and I've been taking walks at night for fresh air.....I don't want any of them to get introuble but i can't go back so i'd like to be prepared for what's comming in a few months.

Happy Trails

LightHeaded said:
He's he just turned 20 yesterday..I know he believes that the risk of jail time was worth getting me out of where I was(in NY with my godparents)but I want to know just exactly whay we may have to deal with. My parents(who I lived with until 6months ago)never liked him and always were threatening to call the police if I didn't stop seeing him,which i never did. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Before I met him I had extreemly low self-esteem, was permiscus(<I can't spell, sorry)and hated my life all around....I even tried to kill myself a few times. [My parents(expecially my father) had a great deal to do with my misery, they were all aroung ****y parents.] However, since he's been in the picture my personal life, self-image, has been completely turned around, i love myself and life and my parents&god parents have only seen him as a threat to that....we've been together 2 1/2 years, 2 pregnancies(which my parents forced me to abort, i never wanted to)and a mountian of hell from everyone who doesn't understand our relationship....I just want to know what we're up against and going to have to get through when I come out of hiding, and try to get back into a school. He didn't transport me across state lines(i'm in chicago now), i took a bus and someone he knew picked me up& took me to an apartment where i'm staying until my birthday. I have my boyfriend&his friends bringing me whatever i need and I've been taking walks at night for fresh air.....I don't want any of them to get introuble but i can't go back so i'd like to be prepared for what's comming in a few months.
Up until 18, is the age of a youth who can be deemed a "runaway" and returned to a parent or guardian.

As for the people that are housing you they could be charged with an offense for aiding or harboring a runaway.

I would look up what charges these offenses carry; but I'm unable to open up 'PDF' files with my new computer (cause I didn't download 'adobe' and told my computer to open them up with word pad, so they come up in greek). :eek:

Maybe someone else will be able to dig that information up for you.

I just want to add that someone has to be worried about you. I hope you are able to get them a message that you are safe.

LightHeaded

Runaway@17

so, i'm a little confused, you said up until 18.....does that mean once i'm 18 they can no longer be charged? I'm afraid if i tell someone i'm ok they'll be able to find me. Once I am 18 I will contact my family to let them know, if they can't do anything to my boyfriend and his friends.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

LightHeaded said:
so, i'm a little confused, you said up until 18.....does that mean once i'm 18 they can no longer be charged? I'm afraid if i tell someone i'm ok they'll be able to find me. Once I am 18 I will contact my family to let them know, if they can't do anything to my boyfriend and his friends.
(Keep in mind this may not be the only charge they are guilty of)

11. Harboring a Runaway 720 ILCS 5/10-6

1. Without permission of parent or guardian
2. Knowingly give shelter to a minor
3. For more than 48 hours
4. Without notifying the local law enforcement agency

(b) Any person who commits the offense of harboring a runaway is
guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(Source: P.A. 86-278; 86-386.)

When you are 18 then you would be an adult. Right now they are breaking the law.

As far as them getting into trouble, I'll ask you this.
When you turn 18, does that mean they did not break the law?

nanaII

One more thing...

The only thing I can add to the advice given above, is that I HOPE YOU are on the pill or some other form of birth control. You have enough problems on your hands right now without adding a pregnancy into the mix. Please go to Planned Parenthood (I think you can get help if you are 17 without your parent's permission) and get some form of birth control! PLEASE!

nohr4u1yr

I was in your shoes

When I was in high school I dated a guy (who was in the military) but my parents thought I was seeing too much of him and made me stop seeing him. And felt he was steering me in the wrong direction. Of course I thought I knew everything and they were being mean and didn't understand me. It "was my life" and they couldn't tell me what to do. He was the one with open arms and they were evil.

Well, after high school I moved out and moved in with him - I didn't speak to my parents for almost a year. After a while he became very controlling and I felt trapped - I sucked up my pride and called my parents and told them they were right about him all along and if I could come home. They welcomed me with open arms. Of course I didn't get the "I told you so" for a while but I deserved it.

Take a step back and really look at your situation and the reasons your family doesn't want you to see him. People on the outside of a relationship at times have a better view of what is going on. They love you and are trying to protect you.

I wish you the best of luck - just remember - you only have one family and it seems like they only want the best for you.

As the other person posted - get on birth control - at 17 or even 18 you are not ready for a child it will only add more problems to your life.

Wolflmg

nohr4u1yr said:
When I was in high school I dated a guy (who was in the military) but my parents thought I was seeing too much of him and made me stop seeing him. And felt he was steering me in the wrong direction. Of course I thought I knew everything and they were being mean and didn't understand me. It "was my life" and they couldn't tell me what to do. He was the one with open arms and they were evil.

Well, after high school I moved out and moved in with him - I didn't speak to my parents for almost a year. After a while he became very controlling and I felt trapped - I sucked up my pride and called my parents and told them they were right about him all along and if I could come home. They welcomed me with open arms. Of course I didn't get the "I told you so" for a while but I deserved it.

Take a step back and really look at your situation and the reasons your family doesn't want you to see him. People on the outside of a relationship at times have a better view of what is going on. They love you and are trying to protect you.

I wish you the best of luck - just remember - you only have one family and it seems like they only want the best for you.

As the other person posted - get on birth control - at 17 or even 18 you are not ready for a child it will only add more problems to your life.

I would listen to her, my little sister (16) just got of a controling relationship. And not in a good way, there were loses, from both sides, no one won. And sadly someone inocent had to pay for that in a bad way. Call home, I'm sure your family is very worried about you.

LightHeaded

i am on birthcontrol, i'm not afraid of him bieng too controling and i won't call home until im 18....i HATE my adoptive parents and for reasons i don't want to talk about but even when i am 18 they still dont even deserve the piece of mind that i am arlight. how long could he be in jail for?

Wolflmg

LightHeaded said:
i am on birthcontrol, i'm not afraid of him bieng too controling and i won't call home until im 18....i HATE my adoptive parents and for reasons i don't want to talk about but even when i am 18 they still dont even deserve the piece of mind that i am arlight. how long could he be in jail for?
You may not be afraid of a controling relasionship now, but trust me one day you may be afriad. It may start of with little things, this and that, where are you, where you going, call me this time and that time. No were going to do this, and not that. And before you even know it, your whole life could be in the plam of his hands, you might not even be able to see it. My sister didn't see it until it was too late. And it happened to another family member of mine, and they got married, but a year after devorced.
Parents are doing it to be mean. There doing it because they love you and are concerned.
But if your adoptive parents have wronged you in a way, that is veyr bad, then perhaps you should share that, so there can be a better understanding. Did they beat or ham you in anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">