• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamas

What is the name of your state? OR
What are the consequences for a runaway if they are found? This runnaway would be 17, turning 18 in august 06. (5 months) Please don't ask why this person is running away, i get that it is "a dumb decision" I would like legal answers.

CdwJava

pjamas said:
What is the name of your state? OR
What are the consequences for a runaway if they are found? This runnaway would be 17, turning 18 in august 06. (5 months) Please don't ask why this person is running away, i get that it is "a dumb decision" I would like legal answers.
The minor could be forcibly returned home ... the people (adults) that the minor is staying with could be arrested ... the minor could get hurt, sick or injured nad have no way to obtain medical aid ... there are a lot of possible results of running away and none of them are all that good.

Why not wait until August before running off to play house?

- Carl

gawm

CdwJava said:
The minor could be forcibly returned home ... the people (adults) that the minor is staying with could be arrested ... the minor could get hurt, sick or injured nad have no way to obtain medical aid ... there are a lot of possible results of running away and none of them are all that good.

Why not wait until August before running off to play house?

- Carl
Because 5 months is like 2 years to a 17 year old!:rolleyes: Couldn't the minor also be sent to juvenile detention for running away?

CdwJava

gawm said:
Because 5 months is like 2 years to a 17 year old!:rolleyes: Couldn't the minor also be sent to juvenile detention for running away?
Not in CA. Status offenders held pursuant to W&I 601 (which includes runaways) cannot be held in the same facility as criminal offenders pursuant to W&I 602 (criminals). And since no county I am aware of can afford to build a non lockdown facility for the temporary housing of status offenders, they get the revolving door until or unless they get before a juvenile court judge who makes it an order of the court that they stay home. THEN, when they violate the court's order they can get tossed in the juvie clink.

But, other states may have facilities for chronic runaways ... though I have never heard of any, they might exist.

And how come I picture this as being a teenage girl wanting to runaway to be with her adult boyfriend?

- Carl

pjamas

Some people never grow up.

probably because you like to think the worst of people Carl.

Thanks for all your help, though many of you were just plain judgemental. I would like to remind those of you that this site is supposed to be for information about laws, not judgement about the questions. To the rest of you, Thanks for helping my research paper.

CdwJava

pjamas said:
probably because you like to think the worst of people Carl.
Actually, that's quite far from the truth. If I came across as cynical, a little checking of the posts on this topic at this site will confirm that this is a common theme here ... and, a common theme in real life as well.

Thanks for all your help, though many of you were just plain judgemental. I would like to remind those of you that this site is supposed to be for information about laws, not judgement about the questions. To the rest of you, Thanks for helping my research paper.
Fortunately, we can be judgemental. Very often a sense of shame is what is missing from a person's decision making. If a little shame can keep someone from making a grave mistake that could ruin their lives, I am perfectly willing to make that judgement.

- Carl

pjamas

not convinced

but the larger question is, who are you to step in and decide what is best, especially with the very small thread of information provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">