• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'runaway' son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Della12

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My 16-year-old son (17 in June) has left home for the third time after disagreeing when I spoke to him about a wrong-doing. He packed some clothes, left a note saying we had no respect for him, and went to stay with friends until we had 'thought about it'. I packed up the rest of his belongings, and when he called, told him to come pick them up. He did today, and while here, the mother of his friend asked me to sign something stating that if he needed medical attention, she had permission to take him. I said "It's not my problem." Before they left, I told him to think about who has no respect for whom; he said he had, in a nasty tone of voice leading me to believe he still thinks he is right. His stepfather has always been very generous in providing for my children: paid for my son's braces, and for private school until this year, for example. What are my legal responsibilities to a child who has left home on his own at 16 (17 in June)? With his present attitude unchanged from the time that he originally moved out (April 10), and with the friend's mother asking for the medical permission statesment, I am concerned about what may come up. What should I do? We do not really want him to come back at this point; he has left home three times as it is.

Della12

what do i do?

What action do I need to take? Should I file a police runaway report? Must we have him move back in?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, yes, reporting him as a runaway would be a thought. Not knowing what you've done up to now makes it hard to tell you what to try. Kids don't reach this stage overnight. The fact that you and Dad aren't together provide some clues as to the problem, but not knowing the situation makes it difficult to comment upon.

Zoya

Good grief

INDIANA

Sign the statement for the other folks he's staying with - all it does is give them the right to take him to the doctor or the emergency room. Other than that, let him stay with the other family. Sounds like it might be best for all involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">