• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running a business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shopkeeper

What is the name of your state? Illinois

To give a little background on myself I am currently 16 and my birthday is in Febuarary. What does this have to do with anythign? Well, last year I had a lawn mowing "business" of sorts and got all of my customers through word of mouth. In the upcomming season I want to continue this business, but on a larger scale than last year. I want to advertise by flyers, door hangers, truck advertising, and maybe a news paper ad. The advertising would start at 16 and continue into my 17th year. Obviously, since I'm not 18 I can't legally own a business and therefore doing any of this advertising and not being a business worries me because I would be breaking the law by not being a registered business and not paying taxes on my business.

Now, if these problems just affected me, that would be one thing, but I worry that they could affect my parents or possibly due to me being 17 I could be tried as a legal adult?

Anyways, my question to you all is if doing this advertising can get my parents into trouble since they are responsible for my actions. I don't want to bring my home to ruins because of my actions.

I hope all of that made sense and is in the right forum. If not, let me know and I'll try and clear any questions up.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

~TravisWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">