• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starb

i live in ohio my 14 year old daughter left the school without permission. she did so because there was a fight in the lunch room any way after she was picked up by police and i got her we found out that the vice principal had looked through her notebook. i just wanted to know if by laws is she allowed to do this without any permission

racer72

By allowing your child to attend a public school, the school is granted certain priveliges. One is the authority to search the student's lockers and possessions. No permission needed.

CdwJava

starb said:
i live in ohio my 14 year old daughter left the school without permission. she did so because there was a fight in the lunch room any way after she was picked up by police and i got her we found out that the vice principal had looked through her notebook. i just wanted to know if by laws is she allowed to do this without any permission
Generally, yes they can. In fact, the POLICE could have searched her notebook, backpack, jacket, etc. once they picked her up for the truancy.

I do hope you are not upset at the Vice Principal's actions! I would be far more concerned with my daughter's leaving school grounds. The fight in the lunch room is an excuse, it is NOT the real reason she left ... unless she left to avoid consequences for her own participation in the fight.

I forget the statistics off hand, but the likelihood of a minor being a victim OR A SUSPECT in a crime more than doubles when they are not on school grounds between 9 AM and 3 PM.

- Carl

HomeGuru

starb said:

**A: why are you asking?

Two Bit

I do abandoned property searches at my school all of the time. If you leave a notebook unsecured at my school, I'll look thorugh it.

I also ask to look through notebooks a lot. I don't think I've ever had anyone deny me permission.

The administration has a much lower burden to look thorugh stuff than I do as an law enforcement officer.

CdwJava

And, if you are the SRO, case law grants you essentially the same authority as staff when it comes to the diminished bar for searches at the school.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">