• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school suspension with no court hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gr1933

My son, 15, was taking into custody, we were told that night for "knowingly burning" and "destruction of property". That is all I know because they will not give me, even an edited copy of the police report.

I asked the family court and they told me that these charges were not on the "Safe Schools Act" and they would not therefore pass the info on to the school. However, the police (SRO, at his school), has turned this information over to the school principle, and my son is now being suspended for 32 days. Can the SRO turn the info over to the school, when family court has not yet even determined that there is enough info for a case? The alleged crime was on school property, but the damaged item did not belong to the school.

seniorjudge

gr1933 said:
My son, 15, was taking into custody, we were told that night for "knowingly burning" and "destruction of property". That is all I know because they will not give me, even an edited copy of the police report.

I asked the family court and they told me that these charges were not on the "Safe Schools Act" and they would not therefore pass the info on to the school. However, the police (SRO, at his school), has turned this information over to the school principle, and my son is now being suspended for 32 days. Can the SRO turn the info over to the school, when family court has not yet even determined that there is enough info for a case? The alleged crime was on school property, but the damaged item did not belong to the school.
triple post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=302211

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=301453

rmet4nzkx

gr1933 said:

The school is well within their rights and have a duty under public policy to protect the other students from your little arsonist. His confidentiality ends when he becomes a harm to self and others, it is not contigent upon conviction of a cirme.

You should be asking his criminal defense attorney these questions and find some means of educaitng your son while suspended from school.

gr1933 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

In Missouri can a police officer provide information contained in a police report, about a class "D" felony on a 15 year old juvenile, to a school principle without the permission of the family court?
Yes

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">