• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff's Dept. Background check interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalunc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
My nephew was sixteen when he was involved in a situation with one of my younger nieces, his cousin. It was voyeuristic in nature with no physical contact. The police were called, and a CYF investigation ensued. The case worker felt that the he was a very immature boy and that it was probably natural curiosity. He, and his parents were warned about the seriousness of the situation , and the consequences should he continue on this path. There was no arrest, court appearence, or further legal proceedings. He has grown up, matured, and has had no other problems of any kind. Recently he passed the first part of his Sheriff's Dept. application , and moved on to the background check interview. He felt (naively in my opinion) that he should list this incident. The interviewer thanked him for his honesty, and told him they would have found it anyway, then sent him home. Does anyone think he has any recourse or options at this point.

My husband is a Deputy Sheriff in CA so I know what you're going through with regards to the background investigation.

Honestly, its all up to the investigator. Its literally a 50/50 coin toss. If the investigator feels negatively towards issues of that sort, it may work against him. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. If he knows other people in law enforcement, he can get letters of recommendation which would emphasize his character that can help him out. In the end you can always appeal.

socalunc

thanks

When I said he sent him home I meant the interviewer told him they were not intrested in him, please look for work elsewhere.

PJ Weber

Does anyone think he has any recourse or options at this point.
For what? They chose not to consider him, nothing illegal about that

His options are to seek employment elsewhere

Last edited:

CdwJava

My nephew was sixteen when he was involved in a situation with one of my younger nieces, his cousin. It was voyeuristic in nature with no physical contact. The police were called, and a CYF investigation ensued. The case worker felt that the he was a very immature boy and that it was probably natural curiosity. He, and his parents were warned about the seriousness of the situation , and the consequences should he continue on this path. There was no arrest, court appearence, or further legal proceedings. He has grown up, matured, and has had no other problems of any kind. Recently he passed the first part of his Sheriff's Dept. application , and moved on to the background check interview. He felt (naively in my opinion) that he should list this incident. The interviewer thanked him for his honesty, and told him they would have found it anyway, then sent him home. Does anyone think he has any recourse or options at this point.
How old is he now? If he is only 21, I can see why this is a problem. If he is 30, this should be less of a problem.

His "options" at this point include applying elsewhere.

Had he NOT revealed this incident in the background PHS (Personal History Statement) he would have almost certainly been blackballed for any future employment when it came up ... and, yes, it would almost certainly come up in a half decent pre-employment screening (something I do as part of my job function). So, it was not naive for him to reveal this problem, it was, in fact, required on the PHS. A failure to reveal it would likely preclude him from ANY further chance of employment in law enforcement.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">