• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifted from macys.. went to court..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazingnessx

NEW YORK. Hi i am 16 years old and i was caught shoplifting back in October 2007 from macys. my dad had to pay $500 in civil penalties, he was so mad at me. I am not permitted inside a macy's store for 7 years [how would they recognize me if i went into one in another state?] They called the police and when they came they asked how old i was and i said i was 16. they turn to the macys officials and are like "16? come on man" but they had to arrest me anyway because macys called. BUT THEY AHD THE OPTION NOT TO.. IT WAS MY FIRST ITME OFFENSE AFTER ALL, RIGHT? Anyway, i was set for a court date of november 16th. i remember it just like it was yesterday. I was so nervous, there were adults and a few people my age there too. [This was criminal cout] I didnt have a lawyer to represent me and i think one was offered for me and he promised i'd get out of it with either a fine, probation for 6 months, or i'd have to pay $100 dollars to watch a 5 hour movie about shoplifting.

The judge just gave me probation for 6 months, and my "lawyer" told me if i were to apply for a job in the future i could write tha ti've never been arrested. i'm not so sure though, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I STILL HAVE A RECORD? FOR SOME REASON, I'M STILL WONDERING IF I DO. I'M ONLY 16 IT WAS A FIRST TIME OFFENSE, AND HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE. I'VE BEEN A GOOD CITIZEN SINCE MY 6 MONTH PROBATION PERIOD BEGAN.

PLEASE ANSWER! i live in ny state

JETX

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I STILL HAVE A RECORD?
Yes, you have a juvenile criminal record.

FOR SOME REASON, I'M STILL WONDERING IF I DO. I'M ONLY 16 IT WAS A FIRST TIME OFFENSE, AND HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE. I'VE BEEN A GOOD CITIZEN SINCE MY 6 MONTH PROBATION PERIOD BEGAN.
Why would you think that your criminal conduct somehow disappears because you have done what you should have done all along... that being to NOT perform a criminal act??

amazingnessx

more questions.

wow do you have no conscience? i said it never happened again since.

btw. the police never took my social security.. just my last name. so does that mean its not on my social security rec?

is this going to affect my chances for college next yr when i apply?

is this gonna be with me all my life?

the lawyer said that i can write never been arrested on applications.. is he correct?

did i screw up my future?

my case was dismissed w/ probation.. so is it going to show up on a background check?

las365

wow do you have no conscience? i said it never happened again since.
You need to look up the definition of "conscience," as having a conscience has nothing to do with feeling compassion or sympathy for you because you will be living with the consequences of your criminal act. Your post would tend to indicate that you are the one who doesn't seem to have much of a conscience, or remorse, or acknowledgement of the wrongness of what you did.

You say you didn't have a lawyer and that you did have a lawyer. Whichever, it was, you do not have a clear understanding of your legal standing. I suggest that you consult with an attorney to obtain an explanation in clear terms of the answers to your questions. You should pay this lawyer from your own pocket, not with your dad's money.

Don't steal the money to pay the lawyer, 'kay?

amazingnessx

well, the court offered me a lawyer. honestly guys, what if you people had children and they did this; then you'd know.

don't go so harsh on me as to what i did. I KNOW WHAT I DID WAS WRONG, dont give me s*** about it like you are sucha a good human and have done nothing wrong in your life. i said it never happened again didn't i? just focus on answering my questions and don't personally attack me about my "daddy." "

'KAY?"

=]

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If we saw some evidence that you recognized a basic concept, which is that when you do wrong you get to suffer the consequences, maybe the responses you got would be different.

As it is, what we are seeing from you is, yes, I know I did wrong, but since I've not stolen anything for the last six months I should be freed from any consequences of having done so before. Since I've obeyed the law for a whole whopping six months, I should get a pass for having violated the law before.

And as long as that's the attitude we see from you, this is the attitude you're going to see from us.

And I have NEVER shoplifted anything. Ever. So don't pull the "I'm not the only one" crap.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
BUT THEY AHD THE OPTION NOT TO..
Sure.... and they should have given you a pass because..... why again? The rest of us have to pay more for the stuff we want to PAY for with the money we've EARNED because pissants like you decide they can just take what they want.

IT WAS MY FIRST ITME OFFENSE AFTER ALL, RIGHT?
No - it was the first time you were caught. Funny, you tell us how you haven't done it since you went to court. But not a word about before you got caught.

As for if it you were my kid? Be very glad you're not.

Last edited:

Raptoer

A real answer

[how would they recognize me if i went into one in another state?]
Really they wouldn't be able to. If you paid with a credit card, it might come up as a flag during the purchase. But really it is there so that Macy's has some protection, and can hit you with another charge if you do shoplift again.
BUT THEY AHD THE OPTION NOT TO.. IT WAS MY FIRST ITME OFFENSE AFTER ALL, RIGHT?
Hell, even if you stabbed me I did not press charges, and you would probably be released. But that is up to the victim, Macy's here decided to press charges, so the officer did have to arrest you.
I didnt have a lawyer to represent me and i think one was offered for me and he promised i'd get out of it with either a fine, probation for 6 months, or i'd have to pay $100 dollars to watch a 5 hour movie about shoplifting.
Court appointed lawyer?
The judge just gave me probation for 6 months, and my "lawyer" told me if i were to apply for a job in the future i could write tha ti've never been arrested. i'm not so sure though, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I STILL HAVE A RECORD?
see below
btw. the police never took my social security.. just my last name. so does that mean its not on my social security rec?
Your social security record has nothing to do with crime records. It only has to do with 100% identification of a person (there can be 2 John Q. Smith's, but social security numbers are unique), and with social security programs.
is this going to affect my chances for college next yr when i apply?
Now this one isn't a question for a lawyer. If the school asks if you've been arrested, and you say yes, it might hurt your chances, assuming that you don't write out an essay and include it with your application that convinces them that you're past that. I don't believe colleges do a criminal record check on all applicants, but I do not know.

Community colleges will still gladly accept you.
Most 4 yr colleges will still probably accept you (maybe at a decreased chance of acceptance).
my case was dismissed w/ probation.. so is it going to show up on a background check?
Wait, was the case dismissed, or were you convicted?

To answer your main question:
States vary, and I do not know about NY state, however in CA you can have your juvenile record sealed. Once you turn 18, and with several conditions (like you aren't on probation at the time) you send a petition to the court that they seal your juvenile record. If you do that, then it is as if it never happened. You are allowed to write that you were never arrested, and even if the judge is asked, he has to say that you were never arrested. Kids make mistakes, don't make this one again.

Finally, learn how to graciously ask for advice (hint: don't be hostile to those who are trying to help). I answered because I believe that everyone should get the best advice possible, and that I shouldn't withhold my advice because of who you are. The others on this forum are much more knowledgeable about these kinds of things however. Oh, and use less capital letters, it makes reading hard and annoying.

Last edited:

JETX

Really they wouldn't be able to. If you paid with a credit card, it might come up as a flag during the purchase. But really it is there so that Macy's has some protection, and can hit you with another charge if you do shoplift again.
And of course, that is NOT true. The reason that the store gave a 'do not trespass' notice to the thief is that if she violates it, they can immediately charge her with CRIMINAL trespass (prior notice is required).

Raptoer

The question was not if they could charge for the trespass, because they definitely could. It was about how would they know that particular person wasn't allowed?

Since the employees don't know each and every person who is on that trespasser list, it would only be useful to Macy's if it came up during a credit card transaction. (which I don't know if it does). Or if they caught you shoplifting again.

The reason that the put that trespassing in place is that, one, it discourages someone from shoplifting again, and two if you are caught shoplifting again they can easily charge with the trespassing, since the shoplifting MIGHT be dubious, but the trespassing is pretty hard to be fought against in court. Either way... Don't go into Macy's!!! It just isn't worth the possibility of being charged with criminal trespassing.
(If you tell me I'm wrong again JETX, I'll delete this post and modify the other)

VeronicaLodge

i love how this kids has mentioned about 3 times how this NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN. and it was all of six months ago, i would sure hope you could lay low and behave yourself for at least 6 months. sheesh

Eekamouse

You can tell just by reading what this kid had to say that shoplifting was a regular thing until they finally got caught at Macy's. So tell us, Amazing, how many times before you got caught did you steal things from department stores? Probably more times than you can remember, right? I wonder how long it'll be before you start back to shoplifting again. Come back here when you get your second conviction and cry about how it isn't fair you're being punished. I promise we will all feel very sorry for you.

JETX

The question was not if they could charge for the trespass, because they definitely could. It was about how would they know that particular person wasn't allowed?
That is correct..... but I was responding to YOUR erroneous statement... not the question asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">