• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spammyham

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am 16 and I shoplifted from Kmart. I gave them a false name and a false SSN, but my real Address. They have no records of me, my father(who checked me out), or anyone else. They sent me a mail that said I should pay a fine or a lawsuit. My parents are refusing to pay, they say that if they can't find me then the lawsuit will just be dropped eventually.

Im scared of the lawsuit and it is driving me crazy.
I just need some advice!!

-Kyle

outonbail

spammyham said:

I am 16 and I shoplifted from Kmart. I gave them a false name and a false SSN, but my real Address. They have no records of me, my father(who checked me out), or anyone else. They sent me a mail that said I should pay a fine or a lawsuit. My parents are refusing to pay, they say that if they can't find me then the lawsuit will just be dropped eventually.

-Kyle
Did they take a photograph you?
Do they have you on a security film?
Did you or your father sign any paperwork before being released?
What law school did your parents attend?
Do you and your parents actually believe that they will be unable to locate you even though they have your address?

I was picked up by my father for shoplifting when I was about thirteen. He had a way of convincing me to never shop lift again, which worked like a charm.

I have a feeling that the way your parents have chose to handle the situation, will not do much in the way of teaching you right from wrong.
I also have a feeling that K-Mart will.

spammyham

I never plan to shop lift again, They dont have my picture or have anything on security film, and my Dads signiture is not recongizable. I learned my lesson. My dad went to a law school in China, but study US law in texas A&m.
-Kyle

fairisfair

Dude, they SAW you, they have witnesses, your father is acting like a fool. Right now, it sounds like just K mart is involved, give it time, the police will be.

J

jessi perez

you know better

spammyham said:

-Kyle
and, btw, if they file a lawsuit against you, it will NOT be dropped eventually, if you dont show up in court, they can win by default, and since they have your real address, they WILL find you, and come after your parents for the money. next time, dont take things that dont belong to you. your parents need to quit making excuses for their child being a thief.

J

jessi perez

i know better then to steal

outonbail said:
Did they take a photograph you?
Do they have you on a security film?
Did you or your father sign any paperwork before being released?
What law school did your parents attend?
Do you and your parents actually believe that they will be unable to locate you even though they have your address?

I was picked up by my father for shoplifting when I was about thirteen. He had a way of convincing me to never shop lift again, which worked like a charm.

I have a feeling that the way your parents have chose to handle the situation, will not do much in the way of teaching you right from wrong.
I also have a feeling that K-Mart will.
shoplifting is NOT something ive been tempted to do. im the same age as this poster, and even I know better then to take things that dont belong to me, my parents would kill me! my parents taught me right from wrong, obviously kyle's parents didnt.

ceara19

spammyham said:
I never plan to shop lift again, They dont have my picture or have anything on security film, and my Dads signiture is not recongizable. I learned my lesson. My dad went to a law school in China, but study US law in texas A&m.
-Kyle
Chinese law doesn't apply and obviously he didn't studied at A&M very much or he would have known that you will still be found even with the incorrect info. The employee that caught you could easily ID you. Then there's the little tiny detail concerning dad. His signature may be illegible, but they would have need HIS name & phone # to notify him in the first place.

Daddy may be in a little legal trouble himself. When did he become aware of the fact that you used false information? Did he purposely sign his name illegibly?

Happy Trails

Wow, you are off to a great start in life.

This sounds like this was a civil matter between you and K-mart. Expect that it will be turning into a criminal matter. For example, a criminal record, fines, and probation.

Awww, what a tangled web we weave. . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">