• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erentas

What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter, 16 years old student, was cut shoplifting at a Kmart store. She was never able to live the store, therefore, Kmart recovered the stolen merchandise. Few days later I received an attorney letter reading as follows:
This Law Firm represents Kmart concerning its claim against you in connection with an incident involving your child in their store. Pursuant to the Commom Law and Florida Statutes Section 772.11 et. seq.,,. Kmart may proceed with a civil penalty claim aginst you. You may settle this matter by making payment to us in the amount of $200.00 within 20 days of the date of this letter. Upon receipt of your full payment, you will receive a written release of the civil penalty claim.

Is Kmart, through these attorneys, entitled to collect this money even if no merchandise was lost in this incident? How do I know this Law Firm is actually representing Kmart. Couldn't they get this case from a data base and utilize it to fool me?

I have not paid this fine yet waiting for an answer.
Thanks

fairisfair

PLease try using your search function. These charges have been discussed over and over on the forum. Start with the word shoplifting.

In short "yes" its called Civil demand you rstate allows a retailer to charge this my advice pay it or deal with negative credit rating or Law Suits for even more. As the parent of a minor who shoplifted your responsible to pay this. This fine does NOT include any fines etc court may issue if case was turned over to PD

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter, 16 years old student, was cut shoplifting at a Kmart store. She was never able to live the store, therefore, Kmart recovered the stolen merchandise.
Thanks
So she didn't REALLY steal - she just planned to. And geez - if she's gonna steal... KMART? Oy.

Pay the $200 and figure out how you're going to make her pay it back to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">