• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktp827

What is the name of your state? illinois

I am a single mom with two daughters at home one whom is 26 years old goes to college & works and helps me with my youngest.whom is 16. I work a lot of hours in sales. Well, my daughter whom is 16 is a good girl, goes to an all girl catholic H.S. she helps her teachers ect. , Not a crazy 16 year old. We have a close relationship and I am on top of her all the time She Is in choir Loves helping people & has never been in trouble before but, she was with a girl whom I had taken in my home at one point because her parents basically could not keep tabs on her. Her mom lives In oregon and her step dad is a horder whom has no control over her. But she started to steal from our apt. So I put a stop on this girl coming over to my home or staying with us. Well my youngest was with this girl whom is 17 at a dept store and both were caught for shoplifting. I understand the 17 year old is getting a lawyer because she will be charged as an adult. she is under medication also for depression. Unfortunately my daughter had $84.00 worth of merchandise on her and thee other girl $34.00. the items were clothing & makeup which the 17 year old gave my daughter to hold in the store in her gutiar bag. well they have court on 2/1/07 & I am very concerned what might happen to my daughter. I am sure the lawyer will try to make my daughter look bad. She said "being handcuffed and humiliated out of the dept store gave her a big wake up call". she will never do this again. the store is pressing charges and my daughter dwas told never to step in the store or stores again.
I have no money for an attorney. Please advise what might & could happen to my daughter.

Very concerned mom

Last edited:

Ok the first half of your post was meaningless! How "good" a girl she is or isnt does not matter. Fact is she stole her "good girl" image wont wash! No money for an Attorney? You can sit with an Attorney for a free intial consultation to get the legal advice you need. Ask about diversion programs. If she qualifies she can keep a conviction off her record! Talk to this Attorney or even a Public defender about plea deals as well. She is not going to see jail time over this. Here is what you can expect

probation 2 - 3 years

Fines

Community service

Ban from store

Civil Demand separate from court

All financial issues will be yours to pay since she is minor! I would have a serious talk with her and her choice of friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">