• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ras2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

My daughter and a friend were recently caught shoplifting several hundred dollars worth of merchandise. :mad:This was the first time either had been caught but both admitted to stealing from the store previously. The police officer said her friend (over 18) was going to be charged with a felony and my daughter (minor) with a misdemeanor. He also said he was not charging her for the previous offense but said the merchandise needed to be returned to the store. It was returned the next morning.

Today we received a civil demand notice from the store for $50. What is the likely punishment be for my daughter? If the $50 is paid in full by the date demanded is this the total civil liability? Is she likely going to also have to pay for the merchandise returned (tags off)? What is her likely criminal punishment?

Thanks

PJ Weber

What is her likely criminal punishment?
Expect Fines, Community Service, and Probation from the Criminal side
Today we received a civil demand notice from the store for $50. If the $50 is paid in full by the date demanded is this the total civil liability?
Be very thankful that it is only $50, it could have been as high as $500

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">