• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting Concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashnruin

What is the name of your state? Texas

My name is Dan and I'm 16 and I have questions that need to be answered. Back in October, I was caught shoplifting (which was something I regret with utmost sincerity) at a local Target. I was caught with 2 PSPs which retail to about 398.98 (I was peer pressured and knowing me, I was weak.) I was given a ticket and a fine by Target. I paid off the ticket in full (I can't remember the cost) but I have not paid the Target fine which is about $500-$600. I've been getting calls from an agency named Bennett Deloney and Noyes nonstop lately. I have not answered them but I've read they are a collection agency. I expect to pay, but my questions are: How long do I have to pay? What are my options? Will this ruin my college future? Do I have a criminal record? Will the fine increase? Do I have to pay? Thank you for your time.

I'm no lawyer so I can't say wether or not you have a criminal record. You need to talk to the collections agency about working out a payment plan. They will most likely work with you to collect their money. As far as the collections agency goes it will show up on your credit report. Did you get charged by the police for any crimes?

ashnruin

I'm no lawyer so I can't say wether or not you have a criminal record. You need to talk to the collections agency about working out a payment plan. They will most likely work with you to collect their money. As far as the collections agency goes it will show up on your credit report. Did you get charged by the police for any crimes?
Uhm, does a ticket count as a charge? =\

And I've done my research on this collections agency and I've heard that they target people who aren't even in debt. Apparently, they're con artists and extremely dangerous. But still, I need other peoples' inputs.

I also contacted a lawyer to see what he thought!

Ozark_Sophist

You have already acknowledged your guilt by paying the criminal fine. The law allows civil fines as well. I am not sure what the amount is for your state, but those I am familiar with have a fine $250 to $300 per item shoplifted. Pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">