• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nirvanaflakes

I was arrested for shoplifting over $200 worth of merchandise at Wal-mart in Virginia. I am 17 Years old. I was given a court date. I was wondering if this will be expunged from my record at 18, what punishment I can expect, and how this may effect my job search.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

I was arrested for shoplifting over $200 worth of merchandise at Wal-mart in Virginia. I am 17 Years old. I was given a court date. I was wondering if this will be expunged from my record at 18, what punishment I can expect, and how this may effect my job search.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does your attorney tell you...YOU DO have an attorney correct?

quincy

I agree with Blue Meanie that, when the charge is as serious as larceny and a jail term is a real possibility, you NEED a criminal defense attorney.

Here is a link to the law: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-103

For shoplifting of an item or items over $200, the charge is grand larceny which is a felony offense (petit larceny for theft under $200 is a misdemeanor). The maximum sentence for felony theft is 20 years in prison.

With your theft, Walmart could also file a civil action against you and recover up to twice the retail value of the item or items stolen.

An attorney can potentially work to get your charge reduced to the misdemeanor or could potentially get the charge dismissed if the facts can support a dismissal. The attorney can also work with Walmart to see if criminal charges can be dropped in exchange for restitution and a promise never to return to another Walmart in the future.

In Virginia, expungements are not easy to get and are not automatic. If your offense can be reduced to a misdemeanor and you are otherwise eligible, however, there is a diversion program available. The diversion program is not an easy one to complete and, if you enter the diversion program and successfully complete all its terms, there will still remain a record of your arrest and the charges filed. You will not be able to have these expunged.

SO, because the charge you are facing is serious one and the consequences of a conviction on the charge one that is likely to affect you forever in myriad ways, you should have an attorney, to help with your defense and to get you the best possible outcome based on the facts of your crime.

Good luck.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Absolutely agree that you really need a lawyer.

As fopr a job search? It is unlikely that anyone in retail will take a chance on you. So you'd best plan on continuing your education.

FlyingRon

Understand that even as a minor this is VERY, VERY serious. You need an attorney. You very well could be tried as an adult, and even as a juvenile it is no picnic. No it doesn't just "go away" at 18 in Virginia. It will eventually go away but it will take at least FIVE YEARS from when you're released from jail/probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">