• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I retain an attorney for my child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cris

What is the name of your state? New York

I am wondering if I should retain an attorney for my 10 year old son. Two weeks ago, I was informed that my son was accused of inappropriately touching his 4 year old cousin while at my son's grandmother's house. I spoke to mother of the 4 year old ut the incident and the advocacy center the 4 year old was referred to. I promised to work with the mother in resolving the situation and follow up on whatever is needed to make sure we serve both our children's best interest. Upon discussing with my son he adamantly denies ever doing what was alleged. His family, including myself believe him but we are willing to follow through on all necessary protocol to get through this traumatic situation.

The Director of the advocacy center informed me that after the interview with the other child, she would call me and let me know how to follow-up. She never called me back and I tried calling her. ACS (Administration of Children's Services) has now interviewed my son's grandmother and aunt at the home where the incident allegedly took place. They have come to my house to interview his father, my son and myself about the incident. Again, let me reiterate, I have been complying with all that has been requested, however I am concerned the indifference and lack of objectivity I confronted when dealing with the advocacy center. My son is now scheduled to visit an advocacy center and obtain a full medical and speak with a social worker. We, of course will attend the appt.

Sorry for the longwindedness getting to the point, but should I retain an attorney to ensure my son's rights are being acknowledged? Or should I just see how this process moves and revisit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">