• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small toy cap gun

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mousemeat

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I drive a school bus. Today a 7th grader brought on the bus a keychain with a small toy gun, what can also be used as a cap gun. My boss told him not to
bring it back on the bus again. I believe the whole state has a no-tolerence law for weapons, but I could be wrong here.

Was this handled correctley? Was the gun just to small? Or what should have been done from the laws standpoiannt.

Thanks in advance:confused:What is the name of your state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Uuuuuh... are you being serious? A cap gun small enough to be on a key chain is something you're worried about? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just Blue

stealth2 said:
Uuuuuh... are you being serious? A cap gun small enough to be on a key chain is something you're worried about? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aren't cap guns those thing that have a red strip of paper and when they go through the "chamber" you get a little bang...?....and to all members...no jokes about the bang...:p

E

eme76

i think as long as the child dosent bring it back then everything was handled just fine
to OP...do you have a problem with this particular child or the gun issue?

to bay...it tends to be more of a POP than a bang:)o sorry couldnt help it)

mousemeat

Nope, I have no problem with it. Just wondering what should have happened. And so far, the kid has given me no problem.He just started riding this week.

justalayman

In todays world, there have been students expelled for things similar.

I am a bit old fashioned and like to use a bit of reason and common sense. In this case I think reason did prevail.

Wolflmg

stealth2 said:

I'd be more concerned about the fact that school bus's have no seatbelts, then what a kid has on their key chain.

mousemeat

Wolflmg said:
I'd be more concerned about the fact that school bus's have no seatbelts, then what a kid has on their key chain.
Seems to me everyone says that,,,,,,,,,,ONE BIG PROBLEM>**************.....

There is one thing most people don't even think about. And please feel free to give me your thoughts on this:

With the exception of some districts, we drive for a school district that has "Tiered" schools, which mean High schools start at one time, say 7:30am, middle school at 7:50am, and elementry at 8:25am, as opposed to schools that start at the same time. If you drive a bus that holds students of all ages at one time, seat belts would be fine, because you could fit the different age groups in tiers, older in back, middle in middle, younger in front, and the seat belts could be sized to fit this. Also, in order for the seat belts to be fastened around each student, you would also need a "Bus Monitor" to walk the aisle to make sure they are.

With our system, even with a monitor, and us picking up the older students first, then the middle, younger, and don't forget the "Noon" runs, which haul students from 4 to 6 years of age, how in the world are we going to "Fit" all these students in the 26 seats we have on the bus? You would have to "Fit" every bus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,each and every year, as we bid on our runs each year. This would be impossible, as we have no idea, when we bid, on how many, how small or large our kids would be.

This is just a small example of why we do not have seat belts on the bus, but I sure am open to ideas.

PS, I was not worried about the small gun/keychain, just want to CYA, just in case.
:confused:

E

eme76

here's one

mousemeat said:
Seems to me everyone says that,,,,,,,,,,ONE BIG PROBLEM>**************.....

There is one thing most people don't even think about. And please feel free to give me your thoughts on this:

With the exception of some districts, we drive for a school district that has "Tiered" schools, which mean High schools start at one time, say 7:30am, middle school at 7:50am, and elementry at 8:25am, as opposed to schools that start at the same time. If you drive a bus that holds students of all ages at one time, seat belts would be fine, because you could fit the different age groups in tiers, older in back, middle in middle, younger in front, and the seat belts could be sized to fit this. Also, in order for the seat belts to be fastened around each student, you would also need a "Bus Monitor" to walk the aisle to make sure they are.

With our system, even with a monitor, and us picking up the older students first, then the middle, younger, and don't forget the "Noon" runs, which haul students from 4 to 6 years of age, how in the world are we going to "Fit" all these students in the 26 seats we have on the bus? You would have to "Fit" every bus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,each and every year, as we bid on our runs each year. This would be impossible, as we have no idea, when we bid, on how many, how small or large our kids would be.

This is just a small example of why we do not have seat belts on the bus, but I sure am open to ideas.

PS, I was not worried about the small gun/keychain, just want to CYA, just in case.
:confused:
equip the buses with retractable lap belts:p :D

justalayman

Don't quite understand all of your concerns.

Just as in a car that is designed to hold , say, 4 passengers. The size is not really relevant because the belts are adjustable and fit a range of people. The belts on the bus would be the same. Now the problem comes with, as you stated; who makes sure the kids are belted and adjusted properly. This is an expense that, I'm sure, most schools would have a problem covering. It would also take additional time to adjust each belt as students get on the bus which would cause a serious scheduling problem.

Now where I get lost is where you speak of having to "fit" each bus depending on the age group of students. This should be irrelevant. There is a legal number of passengers allowed on any given bus. You simply have that number of belts installed. The problem is a bus is often loaded beyond capacity which would cause some passengers to not have a belt available. Simple solution here; do not overload the bus.

Now I was always given the story that seatbelts are generally not a cost effective benefit. The number of injuries they would prevent annually is not large enough to overcome the costs of installing, using, and maintaining the belts. I guess it comes down to; how much is your kids teeth, life, etc. worth?

Wolflmg

With the advancements in technology. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, for some type of device sensesory to be made, so that the bus driver knows who is and who is not wearing a seat belt. It would so it in some small computing device. Some car's already have that type of ability.

Granted yes it would probably cost a lot to equip all the buses with the type of technology, but wouldn't it be worth it for the safetly of the kids. This year already, there have already been acidents that involved school bus's. And the sad part it there will probably be more.

mousemeat

Seat belts,,,,,,,NOT

Wolflmg said:
With the advancements in technology. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, for some type of device sensesory to be made, so that the bus driver knows who is and who is not wearing a seat belt. It would so it in some small computing device. Some car's already have that type of ability.

Granted yes it would probably cost a lot to equip all the buses with the type of technology, but wouldn't it be worth it for the safetly of the kids. This year already, there have already been acidents that involved school bus's. And the sad part it there will probably be more.

First let me say that getting my little "Kiddles" to and from school SAFLEY is my number one reason for getting on that yellow limo every day.

Great idea, but we have our eyes on sooooooooo much now, the road, the mirrors, the kids,etc. How are we going to be able to even think about one more? Even if you did have a couple of kids who were using their seat belts to beat on the kid next to him, how are you going to control it when you are going down a 4-lane highway, about 35-45 mph, with absolutely no place to pull over or stop?

As for the cost? We have school districts right up the road that are cutting back on transporting kids, they only pickup 5th grade and under, all the rest find their own way, so bus monitors are only a dream. We have trimmed back a little, but I have a feeling it's going to hit us real soon. I just thank my lucky stars I am retiring real soon. I feel bad for the drivers 5 years from now, and not sure if most will be around in 10.

mousemeat

stealth2 said:
We also have tiered busing - and our buses have belts. No problem.

HOw do you monitor your kids? Do you haul 4 different schools, 3 times a day? Just wondering how your little ones get buckled in? We have very close times between schools, and most don't have extra time for this.

PS: I think another reason for our not getting them is the cost to re-fit all our old busses. The last I heard, we will not be getting any new ones, and our old ones are starting to fall apart. Kinda like shooting a dead horse.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

mousemeat said:
HOw do you monitor your kids? Do you haul 4 different schools, 3 times a day? Just wondering how your little ones get buckled in? We have very close times between schools, and most don't have extra time for this.
I believe I would be making the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">