• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soc. Security NUmber needed by probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmat

I live in New York State. Hi. This is my first post. My child got into a fight at school, and the case was turned in to the probation department. We got a letter asking for several things, including the ssn of everyone in the house. My husbands aunt lives here and I don't see why they need her social security number. I don't even feel comfortable asking her for it. Will I, or she, or my son get in trouble if we don't give it to them? Why do they even need it? They also want to know what kinds of pets we have, and how long we've been married. Why? What will they do with this information?

Just Blue

I live in New York State. Hi. This is my first post. My child got into a fight at school, and the case was turned in to the probation department. We got a letter asking for several things, including the ssn of everyone in the house. My husbands aunt lives here and I don't see why they need her social security number. I don't even feel comfortable asking her for it. Will I, or she, or my son get in trouble if we don't give it to them? Why do they even need it? They also want to know what kinds of pets we have, and how long we've been married. Why? What will they do with this information?
They are going to run a back round check on members of the household, and they need SS # to do that. Give them all # in the household INCLUDING Auntie!!! Yes! You and sonny will get into trouble if you do not comply with probation demands and terms! If you do not want to give this info....sonny can always go to jail instead of having probation...;)

The pet thing...well...I have not a clue! Unless they want to check if you have big, potentially dangerous dog in case they do a random search...

jmat

Thank you. So does anyone know what the usual steps in this process are? We go, and give them this form, and then what? Clearly they won't have been able to get any info on us because they don't have the ssns yet (and they won't find anything as none of the adults have ever had legal trouble and this is my son's first problem). I'm curious to how long this whole thing usually takes too.

FlyingRon

Thank you. So does anyone know what the usual steps in this process are? We go, and give them this form, and then what? Clearly they won't have been able to get any info on us because they don't have the ssns yet (and they won't find anything as none of the adults have ever had legal trouble and this is my son's first problem). I'm curious to how long this whole thing usually takes too.

How long what takes? They'll start it now and if something bad turns up they'll let you know. In the meantime, supervision goes on as it has since he first met with the PO. If you fail to cooperate, they may revoke the supervision and place him in a more "restrictive" environment. If nobody else in the house has a adverse history you have nothing to worry about.

jmat

FlyingRon, he hasn't met with a PO, or anyone else yet. This is the chain of events

1. Son gets in fight, school calls us and police, plus kid gets suspended. Police fill out report, and we take son home. We picked him up from school. The cops didn't take him with them or anything.
2. About a week later, kid gets issued an apperance ticket, which we pick up without son being present, that says we'll need to go to the probation department, and that they'll contact us and tell us when to come.
3. The other day, which is about a month after the fight, we get a letter telling us to come down next week, and to bring the aformentioned filled out form, and kid's birth certificate.

Since as I said, we haven't had any previous dealings with the justice system, I don't know what usually happens next. Will Kid be telling his side of the story next week? Are kids sentenced, and given a PO at this meeting? Will they just take the form and send us on our way, then contact us again after the background checks?

Last edited:

Bretagne

Sounds like pre-trial juvenile diversion. This means that it's probably your son's first offense, so they'll "divert" the criminal charge to corrections. He'll sign a contract with probation that will probably involve (1) be of good behavior and commit no future violations of the law (2) do some amount of community service, and maybe (3) write an apology letter to the "victim".

If your son can successfully complete the conditions of diversion, he will not be charged criminally and not end up with a criminal record. A future juvenile offense will likely result in charges--they usually only offer the "diversion" option once.

When you go in with your son to talk to corrections, be very polite and interested, and make sure your questions are answered. Good luck.

BL

You're being investigated , deal with it . If you're stubborn , I'll only make things worse . Go with the flow .

Like probation , only if He completes it , it won't be on record .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">