• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone at school threatened to kill me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hiro44

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

If I wanted to, what type of legal action could I take against someone who threatend me infront of many classmates that he was going to bring a gun to school and kill me and another kid (has been reported to administration and is being dealt with). What type of charges could I press? Could I sue?

CdwJava

Do you believe he is going to carry out his threats? What actions have you taken to protect yourself from him as a result of the threats?

Generally, a crime of criminal threats is only applicable if the party takes some actions to further the threat (buy the gun, show it to you or someone else, etc.), or, that you believe that it is so immediate and real that you are in fear for your life. Simply making an idiotic statement is not going to be enough.

You are certainly free to report it to the police. They will file it with the DA if they feel it is a crime, and the DA will decide if charges are to be forthcoming.

If you are under 18 you can ask your parents to sue them as anyone can sue for anything ... winning is unlikely without any damages, however. I doubt your parents will fork ten grand for an attorney for nothing.

- Carl

A

austin_kid

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

If I wanted to, what type of legal action could I take against someone who threatend me infront of many classmates that he was going to bring a gun to school and kill me and another kid (has been reported to administration and is being dealt with). What type of charges could I press? Could I sue?

lol i dont think u could sue and even if you could no lawyer would waste his time on such a frivolous case. it would cost wayyy more to pay a lawyer than you could possibly win, even in a settlement. its extremely hard to press charges for verbal threats, and if you did, i bet no one in ur class would go to court for you. and no prosecutor is going to waste their time on such a difficult-to-prove case.

BelizeBreeze

lol i dont think u could sue and even if you could no lawyer would waste his time on such a frivolous case. it would cost wayyy more to pay a lawyer than you could possibly win, even in a settlement. its extremely hard to press charges for verbal threats, and if you did, i bet no one in ur class would go to court for you. and no prosecutor is going to waste their time on such a difficult-to-prove case.
List IDIOT, stop posting legal advice you have no idea about.

Poster. you need to file a police report and swear out an order of protection. Then you need to contact (or have your parents contact) the school's principal and/or the school board show them the order and demand the offending party be removed from the school.

A

austin_kid

List IDIOT, stop posting legal advice you have no idea about.

Poster. you need to file a police report and swear out an order of protection. Then you need to contact (or have your parents contact) the school's principal and/or the school board show them the order and demand the offending party be removed from the school.
do you really think their going to expel a kid from what ONE STUDENT heard him say? u know about law, i know about kids in high school, cause i am one. if a kid snitches for something like that, more likely than not, everyone else in the class is going to say that the kid who snitched made the threats, and protect the kid who made the threats.

BelizeBreeze

do you really think their going to expel a kid from what ONE STUDENT heard him say? u know about law, i know about kids in high school, cause i am one. if a kid snitches for something like that, more likely than not, everyone else in the class is going to say that the kid who snitched made the threats, and protect the kid who made the threats. trust me i know how this works, ive seen it happen before
That's it. You are done here.

A

austin_kid

That's it. You are done here.
so in your 'legal opinion', if one kid says 'omg he threatened me' and the rest of the class says 'the kid who claims to have threatened him really made the threats!', the kid who has the support of the entire class is going to get expelled?

BelizeBreeze

so in your 'legal opinion', if one kid says 'omg he threatened me' and the rest of the class says 'the kid who claims to have threatened him really made the threats!', the kid who has the support of the entire class is going to get expelled?
Expect a visit from the forum administrator. I'm done with you hijacking other's threads for your own example of the state of the educational system.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">