• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone using a text from my child in a court case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcnjenny

MI

I hope this is the right area to post this question as I wasn't sure where this falls...

My daughters best friend is involved in a custody battle right now and her friends father is using texts messages between the two girls in court. Those text involve the girls talking about "cutting" and "purging." Does the father have legal right to use those text messages from my daughter (16 yrs old) in an open court case without my wife's and my approval? They are using her full name which will become public record forever. Do I have any rights to keep him from using those text messages (some of which are pictures of cuts to her body)? This will in turn make things hard on my daughter as well as possibly push her backwards in her progress to overcome her struggles. The father of her friend is trying to claim it's unsafe for his daughter to live with the mother as it would allow them to be in the same school. My daughter has not had an issue with these problems for months now (with the help of us and counseling), but her friend still struggles with depression as well as the above mentioned struggles. Her friends issue all stem from her mentally abusive father as she does not want to be with him and he only wants her so he does not have to pay extra child support. Anyway, an legal advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and help -
~C

Last edited:

quincy

MI

I hope this is the right area to post this question as I wasn't sure where this falls...

My daughters best friend is involved in a custody battle right now and her friends father is using texts messages between the two girls in court. Those text involve the girls talking about "cutting" and "purging." Does the father have legal right to use those text messages from my daughter (16 yrs old) in an open court case without my wife's and my approval? They are using her full name which will become public record forever. Do I have any rights to keep him from using those text messages (some of which are pictures of cuts to her body)? This will in turn make things hard on my daughter as well as possibly push her backwards in her progress to overcome her [struggles]. The father of her friend is trying to claim it's unsafe for his daughter to live with the mother as it would allow them to be in the same school. My daughter has not had an issue with these problems for months now (with the help of us and counseling), but her friend still struggles with depression as well as the above mentioned [struggles]. Her friends issue all stem from her mentally abusive father as she does not want to be with him and he only wants her so he does not have to pay extra child support. Anyway, an legal advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and help -
~C
If the text messages are pertinent to the case, they can be used by the father.

Names of minors are (generally) redacted from court cases.

Last edited:

xylene

Sorry you are mad about me noticing your view that your daughter's heath problem is some kind of defect or personal failing is odious.

quincy

Thanks for the useless post.
xylene's post was only seen as useless by you because you fail to see it's usefulness.

edit: I see that you edited your original post, kcnjenny, so I am likewise editing mine. The words that you choose to use can make a difference in how what you say is received by others (like your daughter). Thank you for recognizing that.

Last edited:

kcnjenny

@xylene (again)

Shortcomings was obviously not the right verbiage. Struggles, issues, complications, troubles, obstacles... Better? If you have no legal advice, please go troll somewhere else as I need legal advice and not a lecture on using words improperly. I obviously love and care for my daughter as I already mentioned above WE, along with a counselor, have helped her to overcome some problems she has been dealing with. I can't even tell you how many sleepless nights I have spent with her reassuring, listening to, crying with, being there for, as well as providing other avenues of help and support. The whole reason for my post is because I worry about her well being... But please tell me again how I discount her cutting and purging. I wrote this shortly after finding out that her friends father is using these text messages in court and I was exteamly frustrated and angered. I said your post was "useless" pertaining to the information I came here to seek and not about her daily struggles...

quincy

I can understand how you want to protect your daughter, kcnjenny, especially while she is struggling to get healthy.

Courts want to protect minors, as well, so you should not have to worry about your daughter's name becoming part of a court record that is accessible to the public. You can always contact the court if you need reassurance.

I wish your daughter the best. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">