• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son 16 taken from school & was not notified

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justinsmom

Please help me,
I am losing my mind and do not know where to turn, I need some answers,I pray you can help.
My son was taken from school and arrested, he is 16. I was home waiting for him to come home from school,2:15, so 2:30 I started calling him on his nextell, which I have given to him, so that I may get him and check up with him. I was calling him about every 15 to 20 minutes. I know there are times when we get no service, but its about 4:30 and my phone rings.(School office is closed 3:00) It is the police, they went to school and picked him up and arrested him. I was shocked, he was arrested on burgulary of a vacant house from December. I still am in shock. I said I would come right down, they told me know he must spend the night, and face the judge in the morning. Thank you for reading my thread and if anyone can give me any in-sight, I would appreciate it!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure what your question is. Apparently the cops have evidence that your son was involved in criminal activity. Best suggestion is that he needs a lawyer.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well then.... I don't know what else you want to know. Since you didn't actually ask a question. So it was a nice story, I guess......

goodgrief

I think somewhere in there she MEANT to ask if it was legal for them to go and take her son without notifying her? :confused:

CdwJava

I don't know what insight we can provide at this point. You did not even mention what state you were in so no one can even guess as to the potential results if convicted of a burglary.

Good luck.

- Carl

CdwJava

goodgrief said:
I think somewhere in there she MEANT to ask if it was legal for them to go and take her son without notifying her? :confused:
Actually, they DID notify her - at about 4:30 PM it seems. I doubt there are any states that require parental notification at the time the police slap on the cuffs.

- Carl

CdwJava

justinsmom said:
Carl,
I'm from Suffolk County, New York
From what little I know of NY law, and from what you posted, there was nothing improper done.

You should speak to an attorney who can get to the bottom of the criminal charges against him.

- Carl

justinsmom

Thank you Carl,
Spoke with the investigating detective, who said to me, that he has spoken with my son, and that he can tell that this is not a boy, that he sees many of. His demeanor and no prior problems. The charge is burglry in the second degree. I know I have to get a lawyer. I know that this is a problem that I must nip in the but now, and believe me that is what I intend to do. I want my son to grow up to be a respectable, responsible man. I do have a hard time accepting that the school did not notify me, since he was taken from their premises. I should have been their when they were reading him rights,being processed. Do they really believe 16 is now an adult. No wonder we as a society have so many problems, we are making children grow up to fast. At 16 I wasn't allowed around the block. Now in society most families both parents either work, or their one parent families who has to work, that me.

justinsmom

Stealth2,
I don't appreciate your replys, you definnetly have no helpful tips. The way you respond is very abrupt and not of any substance I do not know already. Maybe yes I do ramble on, and I think any mother who expierences this for the first time, has an excuse. I am very sorry you only like giving cold, hard replies.

CdwJava

justinsmom said:
The charge is burglry in the second degree. I know I have to get a lawyer.
If you are of limited means, the court should be able to provide him with a public defender.

I do have a hard time accepting that the school did not notify me, since he was taken from their premises.
I do not think that NY has a law requiring the schools to contact parents when a child is taken. In some states it is a school or district policy (to call or not), but not state law. Some notification to parents by the police is probably required in EVERY state at some point after the arrest.

I should have been their when they were reading him rights,being processed.
You would have wanted to be, but it is likely you did not have a lawful right to be there unless he asked. In my state asking for a parent has essentially the same effect as asking for an attorney ... I'm not sure what it is in NY.

Do they really believe 16 is now an adult.
No, they don't. But, at that age he should know the difference between right and wrong and the truth and a lie. If he was willing to talk to them, then the police would certainly be willing to let him speak.

At 16 I wasn't allowed around the block.
I rode my bike to school and work, and was occasionalyl permitted to drive my mom's station wagon. My parents wanted to know where I was going and who I was with, but I was able to go further than around the corner. But, I was a boy ... though even my sister was given a lot of rope (though she managed to hang herself by it from time to time).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">