• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellogg

What is the name of your state?california
I have court on Monday for my son who violated his probation with underage drinking and out past curfew. He also found some pills and had them in his pocket when they searched him. They are also saying he started a fire in a dumpster. He has been in juvenile hall for just over a week. The district attorney is filing 2 more charges (which I think are for the pills and the fire) His public defender said the judge will ask me if there is anything I want to say in court. I want the judge to know my son is not a bad kid just made some bad choices and keeping him locked up is not what he needs. He is a excellent student and very smart he wants to join the military and he is the kind of kid that could be anything he wants. I think more time in juvenile hall will leave him exposed to people that will only influence him in the wrong way. Is there any advice on how to write a letter to best describe to the judge how important it is for him to be released and that he has a solid support unit with the family and grandparents to make sure he will stay on the right track?

Shay-Pari'e

He has already been in trouble and was put on probation, so why are you making excuses for him. He apparently is not a good kid.

There really is nothing you can do, it is up to the judge.

I agree

I agree. He shouldn't spend any more time locked up. Those kids are too susceptible to be around your son.

I think you should bring your post to court for the judge to read.

las365

You are in deep denial. You have a substance abusing arsonist on your hands. Your son "found" some pills, did he? One question is, did he buy them or did he steal them? What was he on probation for?

Your son needs intervention for his alcohol and drug use. He needs intervention for his tendency toward vandalism or whatever the fire was. His bad choices are likely directly related to his substance abuse, but if he has other psychological problems, he needs to learn about them. The military is not an escape from or cure for his problems.

You say that that your son is smart. I hope he is smart enough to recognize that the path he is on will destroy him if he doesn't help himself. You can't do it for him.

PJ Weber

He is a excellent student and very smart he wants to join the military and he is the kind of kid that could be anything he wants
Tell him that if he continues on his criminal path the military will NOT take him

Actually with what he has on his record now he may not be qualified to join the military

cvdesign

Tell him that if he continues on his criminal path the military will NOT take him

Actually with what he has on his record now he may not be qualified to join the military
Very true ... the days of a potential criminal getting to choose between "jail" or "military service" are gone now.

With that kind of record, NO ONE will give him anything NEAR a secret clearance -- which is what many soldiers NEED to do their jobs.

BL

Depending on your son's age , he may go directly to Jail .

It's high on the scale to say , he will do time , as he has shown after given the chance , he can not conduct himself by the Laws in society .

Very true ... the days of a potential criminal getting to choose between "jail" or "military service" are gone now.

With that kind of record, NO ONE will give him anything NEAR a secret clearance -- which is what many soldiers NEED to do their jobs.
Not where I live. I have sat and watched our juvenile court judge, who is also one of our superior court judges, negotiate charges and judgments away if the kid will join the military. I'm not there often, but it seems like every time I am, he is telling someone to see a recruiter.

cvdesign

Not where I live. I have sat and watched our juvenile court judge, who is also one of our superior court judges, negotiate charges and judgments away if the kid will join the military. I'm not there often, but it seems like every time I am, he is telling someone to see a recruiter.
A judge can send potential criminals to the recruiter all day long .... doesn't mean the military will take them. Completely separate. The military doesn't take orders from district judges. ;)

Now, there was an Army sponsored "Boot Camp" for juvenile offenders ... with the possibility of joining the Army upon successful completion AND recommendations ... but again, that's not the same as joining the military.

I do wonder though ... if a judge says "I won't sentence you for blah-blah-blah if you join the military" ... what happens when the military tells'em to pound sand? Does the kid end up getting off scot free or does he end up back in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">