• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotpass105

Hello I am 16 and I've received a traffic citation for 79/55. I was clocked by a Georgia State Patrol officer with a Genesis 1 Radar. The ticket stated that the radar was calibrated less than ten minutes prior to the ticket being written which isn't possible. The officer was traveling around a corner very near to the bumper of another car when I was clocked. Also I was told when I walked back to talk to the officer that I was actually traveling 77mph. The road had no traffic on it, and it was clear sunny day. If you'd like any more information just ask, but I know for a fact that I wasn't speeding. The officer stated his reason for ticketing me was "to teach a lesson."

Proseguru

You have a standard speeding ticket to prepare a defense for. You willing to spend about 40 hours preparing for such a defense?

hotpass105

Considering that I am only 16 and the law states that at 24mph over I am at risk of having my license suspended.... That risk goes away if the ticket is 77mph. Do you think any judge would change things if he heard the officer state my speed incorrectly? Or is the ticket null and void because the radar wasn't really calibrated at the time stated? Also I was referred to Juvenile Court because of my age.

dave33

Considering that I am only 16 and the law states that at 24mph over I am at risk of having my license suspended.... That risk goes away if the ticket is 77mph. Do you think any judge would change things if he heard the officer state my speed incorrectly? Or is the ticket null and void because the radar wasn't really calibrated at the time stated? Also I was referred to Juvenile Court because of my age.
This is a very common issue. It is a he said,she said. The cop almost always wins. goodluck.

MichaCA

This is a very common issue. It is a he said,she said. The cop almost always wins. goodluck.

*Each situation is different, but will share a story when I was 16 or 17. I got a speeding ticket. I thought it was slightly biased. I showed up on my court date.I respectfully told the judge that I was guilty and explained I thought the citation was not totally accurate. The judge turned to the officer (happened to be in court that day) and asked "was she polite to you?" Officer said I was very polite. The judge dismissed the whole thing (I still had to pay the fine - you always do.

That was random.

I had a couple experiences as a teen where I showed up in traffic court. I think just showing up, being respectful, speaking the truth can go a long way. At least you tried.

Sometimes the judge will reduce the violation and it greatly helps your driving record. I would show up, not be argumentative, forget the attorney - and just give it a try.

Proseguru

The OP cannot "tell his story" and hope for a good outcome. The OP must object and cross examine to try to win the case, not mitigate it.

16-17yr old kid though??? Not experienced enough...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">