+ Reply to Thread
    timboy23 is offline Junior Member

Speeding ticket appeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    New Jersey

I was convicted of a speeding ticket for 86mph in a 55mph zone on July 28th at the Woodbridge Municipal Court. The alleged incident of speeding took place Roselle, not Woodbridge. I decided to file an appeal because the Woodbridge Municipal Court did not have jurisdiction to prosecute my case.

At the time of my conviction i held a Provisional driver's license, as I am only 17 years old. My parents consider everything to do with my car, including the legal obligations of appealing this case, to be my financial responsibility, and therefore will not hire a lawyer for me. I have no money myself, so i tried to apply for Indigent status so that i could have counsel assigned to me.

Upon attending the hearing for my motion for Indigent status, my motion was denied. The Judge determined that in order for the county to assign me counsel and pay my filing fees and the transcript deposit fee, my parents would have to be considered indigent as well. Also, in my conviction i was given a $50 fee plus $36 court costs. He stated that in order for the motion to be accepted, i would have to be facing a fee of at least $750, or be facing incarceration, or be facing a suspension of license. Since none of those three were the case, he denied my motion for Indigent Status.

I have no way to pay the filing fee or the transcript fee. I have no money to hire a lawyer. I fear that even if i did manage to scrap together the cash necessary to pay the filing fee and transcript fee, it would be no use if i have no lawyer. I'm planning on appealing the judge's decision to deny my motion for Indigent status.

If there are any lawyers out there that specialize in this sort of thing, please let me know what i should be doing. I really can't afford to have these 5 points stay on my license. I pay all my own car insurance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    In my experience as a regular person,is that you should just accept it as it is, and don't speed anymore.

(thousands of kids are killed each day)

Time to bring up the jurisdiction is over, you should have done it right off.

Take a Defensive Driving class, that aught to get rid of a few points.
    JKBee is offline Member
    Just "throw yourself on the mercy of the court". If you just plead guilty and ask for the judge to reduce your fine, that is probably the best option.

And don't speed anymore.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKBee View Post
    Just "throw yourself on the mercy of the court". If you just plead guilty and ask for the judge to reduce your fine, that is probably the best option.
    It's too late for that...
    I_Got_Banned is offline Senior Member
    I agree that you should have brought up the jurisdictional argument early on in your defense... That would have been the first thing I would have argued.
    Quote Originally Posted by timboy23 View Post
    the Woodbridge Municipal Court did not have jurisdiction to prosecute my case.
    Are you sure about that or are you just guessing? Can you support your claims?
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning on appealing the judge's decision to deny my motion for Indigent status.
    You are wasting your time. You are not indigent. As a minor, you are still your parents responsibility and that includes their income. You should have come here before you wasted your time in court.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.