• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stachatory Rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AWilliams

What is the name of your state? : Ohio

My current situation is that I am 15 and my boyfriend has just turned 18. Even though both our parents approve of us dating, his mother is skeptical that he might get in trouble and possibly arrested. I am unaware of the stachatory rape laws in my state, what all it applies to, or what is actually considered 'illegal.' If anyone could help me clear this up, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am not requesting lectures on the age difference, please. We are technically 'broken up', but I am still persistant on it and preferr to get the facts myself.

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

alnorth

First, the term is "statutory rape". Anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've found, I think his mother is correct.

(A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of corruption of a minor, a felony of the fourth degree. If the offender is less than four years older than the other person, corruption of a minor is a misdemeanor of the first degree.
16 appears to be the full age of consent in Ohio. If both are over 13 but under 18, its legal. As soon as one is over 18 and the other is under 16, its illegal. When your bf was 17 it was fine, now youve got a problem. Under 13 is rape no matter what, not sure what happens if both under 13. If you are between 13 and 16, and the age of your bf is more than 18, and less than 4 more than you, then its a 1st degree misdemeanor, which is what applies in your case. (18 - 15 = 3 yrs) If your bf was 19, it would be a 4th degree felony, which basically means more jail time. If you got married, then it would be legal in your case.

Either way, misdemeanor or felony, his mom is right, its not legal until you hit 16, its just a difference of less jail time or more jail time (if any), but it was legal when he was only 17 since you were obviously above 13. Whether the local DA would want to prosecute when you have a barely illegal case like this is another question, but they could.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">