• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape laws in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ethny Lynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

How do the laws in Indiana read for a boy, 18 who has sex with a girl, 15 and she is PG and has a STD? My understanding is that it is a class "C" felony. What does that mean for the boy and do the parents of the girl have to press charges or does the state of Indiana peruse it regardless?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CourtClerk

I wouldn't put too much hope on the doctor reporting it. Although they should and are supposed to, the simple fact of the matter is that if a doctor spent time on the phone reporting minors getting pregnant, that doctor would never see patients.

OP. Call the police and file a report. Insist that it is reviewed by the DA. If you don't hear anything in a week or 2, call the detectives and/or the DA's office yourself. Get the little girl treated obviously for that STD and hope it doesn't harm the baby.

CourtClerk

A tad bit of information... see the bolded, and good luck.
IC 35-42-4-9
Sexual misconduct with a minor
Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C felony. However, the offense is:
(1) a Class B felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
(2) a Class A felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon, if it results in serious bodily injury, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(b) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person, commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class D felony. However, the offense is:
(1) a Class C felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
(2) a Class B felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, while armed with a deadly weapon, or

if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the child was at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of the conduct. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
(d) It is a defense that the child is or has ever been married. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
(e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section if all the following apply:
(1) The person is not more than four (4) years older than the victim.
(2) The relationship between the person and the victim was a dating relationship or an ongoing personal relationship. The term "ongoing personal relationship" does not include a family relationship.
(3) The crime:
(A) was not committed by a person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
(B) was not committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force;
(C) was not committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
(D) did not result in serious bodily injury;
(E) was not facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge; and
(F) was not committed by a person having a position of authority or substantial influence over the victim.
(4) The person has not committed another sex offense (as defined in IC 11-8-8-5.2) (including a delinquent act that would be a sex offense if committed by an adult) against any other person.
As added by P.L.79-1994, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.33-1996, SEC.9; P.L.216-1996, SEC.21; P.L.31-1998, SEC.8; P.L.266-2003, SEC.1; P.L.216-2007, SEC.45.

CourtClerk

From the Marion County Prosecutor's office website:

What are the possible sentences a defendant may receive?

If convicted, a judge may impose a range of penalties upon a defendant, which include actual jail or prison time, probation, home detention, community work service and financial restitution or fines. The sentencing guidelines for the State of Indiana define the minimum and maximum length of sentence that a judge may impose.

Murder: 45 - 65 years A Felony: 20 - 50 years
B Felony: 6 - 20 years
C Felony: 2 - 8 years
D Felony: 6 months - 3 years
A Misdemeanor: 0 - 1 year
B Misdemeanor: 0 - 180 days
C Misdemeanor: 0 - 60 days

Reuben

Indiana statutory laws

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

How do the laws in Indiana read for a boy, 18 who has sex with a girl, 15 and she is PG and has a STD? My understanding is that it is a class "C" felony. What does that mean for the boy and do the parents of the girl have to press charges or does the state of Indiana peruse it regardless?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What if the boy were 17 and the Girl 14 and he coerced her?? Is thier any Protection for the Girl??

mvincent3

i need help!!

my 17yr old sister is preg by her 36yr old boyfriend.. is there n e thing that my mother or i could do legaly? i honestly think this guy should b thrown in jail but could we press charges with her being over 16?:mad:

CourtClerk

What you need is a dictionary... :rolleyes:
You can:

(1) Start your own thread and not hijack someone else's
(2) Recognize that this is an adult legal forum and we don't speak in text speak here
(3) Learn how to spell even simple words like 'any.' Your future neice/nephew would probably like it if you could successfully help them learn their spelling words when it comes time.
(4) Have your mother come here, create her own account and post whatever questions she has about her minor child. You are powerless in this situation.

mvincent3

It’s pretty sad when someone comes on here trying to find help and all you can do is mock me for the way it’s written. If you didn’t have an answer that’s all that needed to be said instead of rambling on how you disapprove of the grammar, thanks for nothing. This just proves how America has become... the need to make others feel inferior to you when they come to you for help. Hope you feel good about yourself.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It’s pretty sad when someone comes on here trying to find help and all you can do is mock me for the way it’s written. If you didn’t have an answer that’s all that needed to be said instead of rambling on how you disapprove of the grammar, thanks for nothing. This just proves how America has become... the need to make others feel inferior to you when they come to you for help. Hope you feel good about yourself.
Because that's the way we roll. :rolleyes:

If you have a question, start your own thread and type it out using proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. It's not that difficult.

Oh, and don't get me started with what's wrong with America, because your sense of entitlement is part of the problem. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">